: BISC March 21st Meeting

lannyp
03-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Saturday March 21st BISC is holding our spring general membership meeting. We will be having a spaghetti and salad dinner, Hopefully two guest speakers(Vic Dicenzo with VDGIF and Chris Powell with USACE) as well as a short presentation by Ramrod on keeping bait alive longer. We are also having a swap shop type yard sale for fishing equipment; from depthfinders to boats to bait tanks, rods, reels, lures.....etc. We will have door prizes and a 50/50 raffle and other activities. Please come and join us in this time of celebration and see if you think you might be interested in joining our family oriented club. Membership is $15.00 per year and attendance is NOT required. We will also be having our first tournament of the year the following Saturday on the 28th and our tournaments are NO MONEY paid out. We award plaques and trophies for 1st through 5th places. I hope to see YOU ALL at the meeting. Tight lines!:fishing2:
Lanny

Joy Hansen
03-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi Lanny,

I just attempted to register for the VA Safe Boating Course to be held on March 21 in Clarksville. Think the course location is at least an hour from Henderson, NC (where I assume the meeting is to be held) from Clarksville, VA. The safe boating course ends at 5 PM, I hope!

Let me know specifically where the meeting is and the time to be there. Sometimes I don't digest all that I read.

Regards, Joy T Brew

lannyp
03-14-2009, 04:27 PM
The dinner starts at 6:00pm and the meeting at 7:00. It is always held at the Henderson Rescue Squad building on Hwy 158 in Henderson. Same place as last meeting old buddy!:thumbup:

Joy Hansen
03-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi Lanny,

Just a selfish thought, but I'm interested in how you make up your steel leaders for fishing Kiptopeake. This includes your choice of hook style and size while fishing for COWs with eels. Never too early to be interested in fishing for Pigs and Cows! BTW, is there a resource for lodging for December at Kiptopeake?

Likely, I'll be late for the eats at the BISC meeting, but spaghetti isn't one of the meals that my diabetes favors.

Still trying to get a slide mount on my boat for the TM. I plan to install a Riptide as soon as I find one at a great price. Ha, ha, got Minn Kota back up redundancey for Kerr. Maybe I should sell one or both to offset the cost of the Riptide?

More later,

Regards, Joy T Brew

lannyp
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi Lanny,

Just a selfish thought, but I'm interested in how you make up your steel leaders for fishing Kiptopeake. This includes your choice of hook style and size while fishing for COWs with eels. Never too early to be interested in fishing for Pigs and Cows! BTW, is there a resource for lodging for December at Kiptopeake?

Likely, I'll be late for the eats at the BISC meeting, but spaghetti isn't one of the meals that my diabetes favors.

Still trying to get a slide mount on my boat for the TM. I plan to install a Riptide as soon as I find one at a great price. Ha, ha, got Minn Kota back up redundancey for Kerr. Maybe I should sell one or both to offset the cost of the Riptide?

More later,

Regards, Joy T Brew

Hey Joy,
As far as Hook and size we like to use Gomakatsu Octopus hooks with the size being between 5/0-8/0. I like to be able to set my hooks if I feel the need to but circle hooks don't allow for the hook setting that the Octopus hooks do. I use 17lb line on my reels with 30lb leader. I use Cajun Red leader in monofilament and I make my leaders with a crimping tool. I have found the Palomar knot to work just as well as the crimping tool especially while on the water.
As far as trolling motor you are making the right move getting the Riptide. See ya at the meeting buddy!
Lanny

Joy Hansen
03-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Hey Joy,
As far as Hook and size we like to use Gomakatsu Octopus hooks with the size being between 5/0-8/0. I like to be able to set my hooks if I feel the need to but circle hooks don't allow for the hook setting that the Octopus hooks do. I use 17lb line on my reels with 30lb leader. I use Cajun Red leader in monofilament and I make my leaders with a crimping tool. I have found the Palomar knot to work just as well as the crimping tool especially while on the water.
As far as trolling motor you are making the right move getting the Riptide. See ya at the meeting buddy!
Lanny

Thanks for the info Lanny,

I'll be bringing a 65 pound thrust Minn Kota with a 60 inch shaft to the sale. Sure like to sell it for about $300 unless that's too much. No copilot or autopilot, just the foot control that operates on 24 volts. For those more informed than I, it's s/n is MKA D2603882 that might indicate the year of manufacture. I think it was installed on my Sea Pro in 2004 and little used.

I got my membership card today and the first thing I did was to put your phone number and BISC e-mail on the back, along with the phone number for Sea Tow Kerr Lake before bonding the card. I'm pretty messy and it wouldn't last long in my hands without some kind of protection.

Sure like to learn more about lodging at Kiptopeke if you have time.

Gosh, now I have to go and find out about a Palomar knot . . .

See ya soon,

Regards, Joy T Brew