View Full Version : rules and suggestions for mooring buoy
05-12-2005, 03:36 PM
with permiting process we wont have a dock at my family's cottage on windmill point creek this summer so I was thinking about placing a mooring buoy 50ft or so off the shoreline.
First, is this legal? I found info for Maryland saying it is but that doesnt mean its the same here
second, does anyone have a tried and true design? I was thinking of setting one end of a galvanized chain in a bag of quickcrete and letting it harden around the chain and then just burying the bag in the mud and hooking the chain onto a large white float. will this work? any better suggestions
05-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Not sure if legal. but neighbors on Henrys creek have one in the middle of the creek for their sailboat. Not sure how they did it either. Good Luck.
05-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Don't like to be the bearer of bad news but mooring bouys require a VMRC/ACOE permit to be legal. This link is to the Joint Permit Application : http://www.nao.usace.army.mil/regulatory/webJPA2004.pdf
This link is to sample drawings :
http://www.nao.usace.army.mil/regulatory/websampledrawings.pdf (see page 32).
May not take as long for a bouy as the whole pier permit process? I have a place on Windmill, probably right around the corner from you and there used to be a bouy w/small (15 ft) sail boat (probably not legal) on the creek, only lasted for a season; moved more times than a traveling salesman.
I am waiting on a lift to be built, did the permit myself and would be happy to share my experience, POC's and temporary solution. Bmail me if interested. Will be at the house this weekend as well.
05-13-2005, 01:11 PM
DD, actually place is on strip of land inbetween little oyster and big oyster, just easier point of reference to say windmill point creek. wont be there this weekend but parents and sister might. will b-mail you when I am headed up and maybe we can get together and do some fishing. we have started the permit process for the pier but looking at sept realistically so I was looking for a temp solution but I might just anchor until then. thanks for you help
05-13-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm at 5880 WPR just around the corner (white fence/gate at driveway). I bought an aluminum roller ramp as a temp fix for a lift. It's on it's second season and works like a champ. Boat is 19'cc w/ 90 Yami weighs approx 2300lbs, ramp is rated at 2500. It will be looking for a new home when the lift is installed, end of June. If you decide to use a bouy don't be afraid to over-build it. Any east wind event blows across Little Bay and out your side of the creek, moor fails and your boat is in Deltaville.
Have been scouting the creek last couple of weeks, water temp was 56-62, should be up some now, got into some good size croaker and juvi strippers out towards the creek mouth. Let me know when your on the creek. R/Dan