: Question Are Fluorocarbon Leaders Worth It?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Regulator24
06-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Have you found that using fluorocarbon leaders is worth the extra expense? Also, I was wondering if ya'll uset a barrel swivel in your leaders to reduce leader twist.

ES Fisherman
06-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I have heard that fluorocarbon leaders are better when jigging because the line is much more sensitive than monofilament and makes it easier to feel strikes. I am not sure if they are better for other applications.

shaddart2004
06-12-2012, 07:54 PM
They are great for non visibility and sensitivity but only necessary for leader sensitive fish and expensive to boot.I always use a swivel and the heaviest leader I can get away with cause I wont use a net and dont lose many fish.

dances_with_fish
06-12-2012, 07:57 PM
I believe that it is for several reasons. Fish can't see it for one. It doesn't float like braid or mono which is better for LL and provides limited stretch for nice hook setting power for LTJ when using braid. When trolling I use ball barrel swivels to eliminate twisting.

WHACKMASTER
06-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Without a doubt it is.especially when matched to braid. Its worth every penny.

Jeff

flycatcher
06-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Depends on the application. Definitely makes a difference fishing for false albacore. Suspect that it would for Spanish Macks as well. I doubt stretch is much of a factor if you're only using 6 feet or less of it. Sensitivity might be affected a little bit if you're talking about adding it to braid, but if you tie it onto mono any concerns about loss of sensitivity would be moot - it stretches less than most mono. If you add a swivel, I'd recommend a long leader. Otherwise the visibility of the swivel defeats the purpose of adding a shot of less visible line.

rgardn2
06-12-2012, 08:13 PM
When trolling spoons or hoses, I use mono leader with a Bead chain swivel in the line to eliminate twist. Seems to work fine, and I have never seen a charter Captain using anything but mono for trolling leader on the Bay. I really like P-Line flouro-clear line for leader material on LTJ/LL rigs, cheaper than fluorocarbon, but seems to be very effective. Usually I use the 20lb green color. But I have never tried straight fluorocarbon to compare.

Fish
06-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Depends on the application. Definitely makes a difference fishing for false albacore. Suspect that it would for Spanish Macks as well. I doubt stretch is much of a factor if you're only using 6 feet or less of it. Sensitivity might be affected a little bit if you're talking about adding it to braid, but if you tie it onto mono any concerns about loss of sensitivity would be moot - it stretches less than most mono. If you add a swivel, I'd recommend a long leader. Otherwise the visibility of the swivel defeats the purpose of adding a shot of less visible line.

Definitely agree with this. I use it for fish species known to be leader shy or if the water is very clear and I'm having trouble hooking up but marking plenty of fish.

swartj
06-12-2012, 08:27 PM
I agree with Whackmaster. I use it for LTJ and liveline leaders. Also for the last 6 - 7' of a spanish Mac leader. The way I see it I already bought a boat, fuel, a bunch of rods and tackle. I may as well spend $17 for 50 yards 30# fluro.

bfox
06-12-2012, 08:40 PM
It is needed for leader shy species and maybe all others couldnt hurt...for example: I chartered a boat last week out of Oregon Inlet, NC. Captain had 2 ft of flouro leader on all rods and I asked about it. We were going for speckled trout and he said they were/are leader shy. Tied uni/uni flouro to mono, no swivels.

I am a believer after that - we whacked the specks all day...errr maybe just got lucky?

Like 'swartj' said you have already bought a boat, fuel and a bunch of rods - whats another 17 bucks for line...