: Does powerpro need a mono backer to not slip?

Pages : [1] 2 3

faceington
02-11-2006, 08:57 PM
I recently switched most of my rods from mono to power pro. When I first tried it I asked the Tackle Box in Lexington Park, MD to respool 2 trolling reels to powerpro. They recommended 200 yds and did not mention leaving a mono backer (and I don't think they did leave a backer). Is a mono backer absolutely necessary to prevent the line from slipping around the spool? Or will this only be a problem if I let most of the line out.

country_bunkin
02-11-2006, 09:03 PM
I had this problem with my spinning reels last year but with spiderwire. May not hurt to put a mono backing.

faceington
02-11-2006, 09:10 PM
I guess I just wonder if its necessary...As in do I have to remove the powerpro from 6 reels, apply a mono backer, then respool the powerpro. What a pain.

chas77
02-11-2006, 09:10 PM
some use it as a shock absorber, which im not sure if its needed.

ive done the backing to cut costs.

if u don't use backing, just be sure to use a little tape after u tie it on.

remember to wind tight.

Hookin-Up
02-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Yes, you need it. Power Pro does not stretch. Without a mono backer ( which does stretch), it can spin around the spool, when under load. The mono backer will not allow the line to spin.

Seahunter
02-11-2006, 11:45 PM
All my trolling reels have a line “post” on the spool so I don’t need a backer but I use Dacron to take up space on the spool before putting the PP on the reel.

I guess it goes back to the wire lines but I’ve always used Dacron as a backer. Dacron unlike mono will not constrict over time and put stress on the spool which is important when using graphite or aluminum spooled reels.

Your spools will thank you for it later.[smile]

etouffe123
02-12-2006, 01:44 AM
A few stories at Happy Harbor about folks reeling like crazy with braided unbacked line. They thought the reel had zapped only to find out later that the whole spool of braid was spinning as it was not mono backed. Heck its snowing...u got time...get busy [grin]

Slipsinker
02-12-2006, 02:44 AM
On my spinning reels I just put a piece of cloth adhesive tape around the spool to give the braid something to bite into. On my conventional reels I put 200 yds of braid top shot over mono. When this stuff first came out I used it on my freshwater spinning reels and didn't know about its' tendency to slip. I used it one whole year w/o any problems then when trout fishing the following spring it spun on the spool while I had a fish on. I thought WTF is going on. Thought my spool was stripped on the shaft or something. Sure was a funny feeling.

Graybeard
02-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Eminent brothers,
Every super line I've tried, except for Fussion, needed a short mono backer or something to keep it from slipping on the spool. On my trolling stuff I used a dacron backer at the advice of SMART people who told me the dacron flattens out so the braid can't dig itself in like it can with mono. On my LTJ stuff I use a short piece of mono or a mono backer, depending on the size of the spool, connected to the braid with a blood knot.

pmk00001
02-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Definately use a backing, I've seen power pro spin round and round and it isn't pretty [grin]