: Soft Spot in Floor? Major Problem??

lindbeck25
04-27-2006, 09:12 AM
I just took another look at this 19’ cuddy I’m looking to purchase. The ‘cockpit’ area of the boat consists of a captain’s seat, and 2 seats in the back next to the I/O engine. I just found a soft spot on the floor about the size of softball, to the left of the captain’s seat, where the double seat (if it had one) would be. The floor is covered in carpet and I assume it is made of wood. Is this a major concern or not. The owner kept his crab pots in that spot, do you think that caused the problem? Also, What if I put a double seat there, will that help prevent further damage? They just boat a brand new cover for the boat so the floor will not be open to any standing water while its not being used. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

jkruppa
04-27-2006, 09:22 AM
I would be concerned. A soft spot on the floor would indicate rot to me and would have to be repaired.

Jim

DaveOsh
04-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Ditto on the concern. Pull up the carpet if you can and take a look at it. When I bought by Grady (it was a 1987), there were two floor panels that were soft. I was able to remove them, replace the wood, and refiberglass the wood to the panel. It wasn't very difficult. I got a better deal on the boat because of it and it only took me a summer weekend to fix it up. If you can see how to take up the panel, it may be an easy fix. But, it could also mean that other parts of the floor may be getting soft . . .

mrobertson
04-27-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm no expert but, I just started my first deck repair project on a 17 mako. I have never done this type of work before. I cut up the whole floor and removed all the foam from underneath. I have re-poured all the foam and this weekend im going to glass in the new floor. It's not overly hard it just takes some patience and alot of reading.

What you can do is drill small holes in the soft spot and inject epoxy resin with a syringe. That will firm up the floor in that area. You'll want to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesnt spread.

On a boat like that you could use the soft spot as a bargaining tool and maybe get it for cheaper than you thought. Then you'll have some extra money to address the soft spot.

Read through the classic mako site (www.classicmako.com). Some of the projects they have done are pretty amazing.

Good luck

C Sollers
04-27-2006, 10:08 AM
A company called Boat Life makes two products for such a problem. One, Git Rot is for dry wood. The other, Iforgot the exact name, is for wet wood. They ain't cheap though, about 60 bucks a quart.

Butcher
04-27-2006, 11:09 AM
I would posetively use this for negotiating. The floor is no problem, its whats underneath that you have to worry about. I am about 75% complete a Floor, Stringer and fuel tank job on a boat that had a SMALL SOFT SPOT IN THE FLOOR. To date I have removed 47 lawn and leaf bags full of wet foam which I estimated to have wieghed at least 1000 #'s.

If you are handy and can make a good deal go with it, you may be lucky and only have the floor to deal with, but be sure to look further. On boats under 20ft they use foam floatation which usually becomes saturated and rots out the stringer, deck , bulkheads and anything else it comes in contact with. A few limber holes to let these compartments drain would prevent a lot of this problem. Sorry to ramble.

Good Luck,
Butch

done workin
04-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 19' bowrider has a soft spot in the what would be the exact same spot and the floor rip out is being left for a fall or winter project to rip it up and take a look at the whole thing. I know one thing, the carpeting won't go back in. New wood, glass, resin and paint. Carpet s__s to clean.

It is a definite bargaining chip if you feel like doing the work. Remember the golden rule. It's not what you know about that hurts you. Like others have said. If you're lucky it's only the floor. If not, then you're into new foam, stringers and alot more work than just a weekend project.

Prepare yourself for the worst and decide whether or not you want to tackle it. If you're not into doing new stringers and foam, forget it.

I second the classicmako.com site. SOME GREAT pictorials and project boats on there but it will give you a detailed idea of what you could be in for.

lindbeck25
04-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking at the boat again sunday and will sea trial. I'm going to see if I can access the area one way or another to see how far down and how bad it is. My major turnoff of this boat is the carpeted floor. I already have thought about and started looking into pulling it up and replacing with fiberglass so i can just "hose it out. How much would it cost to replace to floor, if it is just the floor? Thanks

Butcher
04-27-2006, 12:32 PM
First thing I would do is get rid of the carpet, mine originally had carpet as well and I think it was the major cause of the problem. you get a small hole in the deck from mounting something and it was not sealed, ir you get a small crack and with the carpet you will never see it. Meanwhile the SEALED section of the bilge fills with water and you will never know it till the deck gets soft or the screw in you helm seat pull through etc.

My father was a marine surveyor, many many years ago and his main tool he always carried with him was an ice pick, just start poking around and you can tell right away what is soft or not.

Also if the boat is out of the water, pull a couple of the screws out of the transom like the transducer, speedo, trim tabs etc and see what you find. (It could be soft wood or water) I recently went to look at a Sea Ray at a boatell, when we pulled one of the screws out of the speedo pick up bracket on the transom, black water ran out for 5 minutes, we looked no further. This was a 5 year old 28ft boat and the transom was mush.

Good luck and post how you made out.

Thanks,
Butch

done workin
04-27-2006, 02:49 PM
If your gonna do it right, it's gonna cost a couple of hundred. Epoxy resin is not cheap. The best way to do it is to rip out the entire effected floor. This could be 1-2-3 sheets of marine grade plywood that are gonna run you locally probably $50-60 each for the cheap stuff. Top notch marine ply will run you $80.00 sheet or so +shipping. Resin to seal the entire surface and fiberglass cloth to tie in the sides along with resin ain't cheap. Probably $300 +/- depending on how much area as a guess. Then you're gonna' wanna paint it with something good, probably another $100 or so. Sanding discs, rollers, etc for a good finish.

Adjust costs above whether or not you're gonna put carpeting back in or not. If you leave the carpeting in you will probably won't need to epoxy it. If you're talking about taking the carpet out, you'll probably be coating the entire thing and using more.

The easy way is to just rip out the soft stuff, replace it with cheap marine grade and put the carpeting back down. You could probably be done for $100 or so. Make sure it's dry when you put it up and keep a good cover on it.