Fishing Fly Fishing How to Fishing and Fishing Reports at Tidal Fish - RIGGING AND FISHING KNOTS: Making Spanish Mackerel Lures
  • RIGGING AND FISHING KNOTS: Making Spanish Mackerel Lures

Spanish Mackerel Fishing Spanish Mackeral Lure Making Chesapeake Bay Spanish Mackerel Fishing
    By Shawn Kimbro
    With more warm weather in the forecast, the macs are sure to stay around for a few more weeks. I'm answering some backchannel messages with this report and will attach photos showing the way I make lures I cast for Spainards. To be sure, any flashy lure will work with spanish and my ideas aren't any better than anyone else. I think there has been some very good advice on the board this year from fishermen who are consistently targeting and catching them in the Bay on the cast. Since I always lose a lot of lures to bluefish bite offs, I try to make them as inexpensively as possible. We're getting Spanish on the cast by running the hard bottoms inside a large triangle that is roughly Chesapeake Beach to Black Walnut Point then north to Kent Point. The first object is to find breaking fish, then move from pod to pod until we find the ones with the best concentrations of macs. Casting long and reeling fast, the second best cast is the one that doesn't catch a bluefish or dink rockfish.
    Spanish Mackerel Fishing Spanish Mackeral Lure Making Chesapeake Bay Spanish Mackerel Fishing

Making Spanish Mackerel lures has been contributed by Shawn Kimbro who is a regular contributor to TidalFish.com and can be found chasing fish all around Maryland waters with light tackle in his Judge center console fishing machine. You can read the original forum post where this article originated along with comments from other Tidal Fish members on the Maryland Saltwater Fishing Forum
    Comments 4 Comments
      wen -
      Shawn, apparently we employ similar techniqes in lure building. I have a jig mold that basically makes a lure for jigging similar to what you make with a hammer ! Your technique is very innovative.
      I have never thought of using these lures for something like Macs, but to get under the breakers you need to get down fast so it makes perfect sense.
      Tip on powder paint, if you use a lot of it, search out a powder paint supplier that deals in the automotive trade,much cheaer than those tinly little bottles they sell in the tackle store and much more variety too.
      Wen
      hippie -
      Shawn, good article. I do have a question, what type of glue are you using to hold the Mylar tape to the lead sinker? Thank you, Hippie
      gjake999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hippie View Post
      Shawn, good article. I do have a question, what type of glue are you using to hold the Mylar tape to the lead sinker? Thank you, Hippie
      I have made similiar lures and now use clear cure brushable---tough and great for fly heads and poppers too---good luke
      cris4tuna -
      Good and inexpencive, http://www.roseyspowdercoating.com/

lots of collors, good Sales if you sing up for the newsletter.

thanks for the tips, I will make some up.

Quote Originally Posted by wen View Post
      Shawn, apparently we employ similar techniqes in lure building. I have a jig mold that basically makes a lure for jigging similar to what you make with a hammer ! Your technique is very innovative.
      I have never thought of using these lures for something like Macs, but to get under the breakers you need to get down fast so it makes perfect sense.
      Tip on powder paint, if you use a lot of it, search out a powder paint supplier that deals in the automotive trade,much cheaer than those tinly little bottles they sell in the tackle store and much more variety too.
      Wen

Link to Us   Subscription Information   Advertise   Privacy Policy   Resources   Contact Us   About Us

©2012 TidalFish.com. All Rights Reserved.