Tidal Fish Forum banner

ESVA FIP Warning

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Hillbilly Boater 
#1 ·
Just a heads up. If you fish VA with a MD Bay license make sure you register with the VA FIP program. We got checked this past weekend in Wachapreague. It seemd that was the main license they were checking for. http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/fip/

#2 ·
Seems odd that you can fish coastal VA with a MD bay license, but I had a similar thing happen to me two years ago. Had the marine police check me on the water and when I asked them if they wanted to see my VA saltwater license they said no because we had a MD bay sticker. I've thought since then that they must have been confused and thought we were on the bay side (maybe they were on the bay side the day before). I guess not :))

#3 ·
I guess this is the portions of the regulation that covers it:

A. The following persons shall be exempt from the requirements of obtaining a saltwater recreational fishing license as set forth in § 28.2-302.1:

6. The holder of a valid recreational fishing license issued by another state or jurisdiction, upon determination of reciprocity of the license by the Commissioner.

Reciprocal Recreational Saltwater Fishing Licenses:

Chesapeake Bay and Seaside - Anglers with saltwater licenses from either Virginia or Maryland may fish in any portion of the Chesapeake Bay, or any of the saltwater reaches of its tributary rivers, as well as seaside bays and creeks and the Atlantic Ocean where a Virginia saltwater license is required. Virginia licenses honored include: 1) individual annual licenses; 2) individual temporary licenses; 3) private boat licenses covering all persons fishing on the boat; 4) annual licenses for charter boats, headboats, and partyboats; and 5) annual licenses for rental boats.

Note: MD licensees may fish in VA tidal waters as described above without additional license, but must register in the new VA Fisherman Identification Program (FIP) beginning January 1, 2011. Click on following link for more information, www.mrc.virginia.gov/FIP.

http://mrc.virginia.gov/regulations/recfishh&l_licensing.shtm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.