77" BFT caught in Bogue Sound NC in Skiff!!
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Default 77" BFT caught in Bogue Sound NC in Skiff!!

This was posted by his step daughter

Greg Dennis and Hugh Sutton (neighbor across the creek) witnessed something rather large swimming around the creek and both hopped in our 16 ft. Carolina Skiff to check it out. They were unsure of what exactly it was at first, and after casting towards the fish with light tackle, they eventually foul-hooked the tuna, and once they got close to the tuna, they gaffed it thinking it was a yellow-fin tuna. Since they were in 3 ft. of water, the tuna was unable to swim quick enough and so it was relatively easy to pull right up to the fish. There were several of us watching from the our docks less than 50 yards away in complete disbelief. After Greg almost fell out of the boat while gaffing the tuna, they brought the fish to the dock so we could all take several pictures. The pictures are linked below. They then took the fish to Island Harbor Marina where the Marine Fisheries and Federal guys met up with them. They had no intentions of selling this fish or they obviously wouldn't have split his stomach at the dock.

And yes, Greg has his commercial license and tuna permit but the tuna permit was for his 25 ft. parker, not his 16 ft. skiff. Therefore, the tuna was confiscated. Fines at this point, were unsure of, hopefully none... but it was worth every second!

Greg knew it wasn't the right thing to do by gaffing this fish but he also had no idea at the time that it was a bluefin tuna. How often does a 77 inch bluefin tuna end up in Archer's Creek? So just out of curiousity, what would you have done??

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/mascheer99/albums

Oregon Inlet, NC Offshore Charters. Bluefin Trolling and Jigging
    http://www.SuccessionSportfishing.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Smile

I'd harvest the fish... Of course I have a permit and only one boat...

I've been fishing too far offshore! :)

Great Catch, right or wrong...

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber smells like fish's Avatar

Kevin

That's unbelievable. Keep us posted on how the feds treat the situation. I'm curious.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

HOLY CHIT!!!!

Wonder what the light tackle was - checked the record books?

Wish the feds would give this one a pass. Cool right place right time story.

Fish probably wasn't going to survive anyway, as off course as he was.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I would have definately THOUGHT it was a yellowfin tuna myself -lmao, pretty work that was one lost fish was he feeding in there or do they think something was wrong w/ him? I think last year some commercial guys caught one at the Monitor Merrimac bridge. Either way he would be sushi.....

Wow guess I Better start trolling long creek back towards broad bay maybe get me one of them thar big tuners

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Huh?

What tuna?

thats unreal, I would have gaffed it for sure, you can tell that story forever!

5 years from now....yeah I caught it on my bass rod 8lb test...awesome fight...

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool

Default Woo

What a story he has to tell.That LT catch will be tough to top for sure.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast