Scientific anglers system 10
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Question Scientific anglers system 10

A very good friend of mine gave me a Scientific anglers system 10 fly reel.
    I do very little fly fishing and that is limited to Rainbow and Brown trout in the mountains of Va.
    What do I have ? Is it worth anything or should I invest in a matching rod and go catch striper's with it?
    It came in a leather case and the reel says made in England by Hardy Bros Ltd.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

No one knows about this reel?

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've been away from the fly fishing scene for many years now. But when I was heavy into fly fishing I remember that Hardy Bros reels were very high end. System 10 is strickly for big water & big fish.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've got a System 9 that I purchased new in 1978 for bonefish and tarpon. I think I paid $60 for it which was a ton of money for a fly reel back then. I've fished it hard since then and it's still going strong. Made by Hardy, about as simple as you can get with a click pawl drag, but it's whipped everything I've ever hung on it. Lightweight and bulletproof, and the drag makes a beautiful sound with a big bone on the other end. Fish it!

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Since going to the System trademark reels a number of years ago, Scientific Anglers has produce reels under the name System 1 primarily made for freshwater, System 2 a beefier version of the 1 for primarily saltwater and System 2L which s a lighter weight version of the 2. I don't recall a System 10.

The recommended line weight for the SA reels is generally marked on the reel. For instance I have a System 2 1011 which is a saltwater reel designed for either a 10 or 11 weight line. I also have a System 2 56L which is a a freshwater reel designed for either a 5 or 6 wt line.

Generally for trout fishing you will be fishing lines from 2 wt to 6 wt with 4 and 5 weights being the most common.

Guy

Does it look like this? It's the same as the Hardy Marquis, late 1970's vintage stuff, very nice reels. Orvis sold a version of it, too, but SI had them for much less money, same reel. I can't find a listing for a System 10, but I didn't spend too much time on it, either.
    Attachment 792
    Last edited by Bonefish79; 11-12-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I remember way, way back, maybe in the late 50s, when fly line manufactures used a cumbersome and nonsensical system using all letters to classify their line sizes and tapers. Then in the 50s they switched to the line weight system thats pretty much still in use. I thought that Scientific Angler, using this new numbering system, came out with their own combos that would match up rod, reel and line for you. Thus a System 10 would be made up of a 10 weight rod with a 10 weight line matched to a 10 weight reel. Same for 9 weight, 8 weight, 7 weight and on and on it would go.... or am I full of BS?

Thanks for the replies and BONEFISH79 that is the exact reel and case that i have. Just wondered what if any value it would have?

There's a System 8 on fleabay right now going for about $30, so I'd just use the thing. Exactly right, HJS. SI came out with their "System" around 1969 and ended up puttin' a hurtin' on Orvis because the stuff was affordable and well built. Saltwater flyfishing was still an oddity back then and getting your hands on decent equipment was tough, and your choices were limited unless you had the funds for big reels like the Bogden's and Fin-Nor's. Orvis CFO's weren't big enough for the 9 and 10wt lines. Pfleuger had a decent reel called the Supreme (way before their latest reincarnation also called Supreme), but you couldn't find them anywhere. We used the big Medallist's with no problem other than busted knuckles and burned fingers from trying to slow fish down. The System reels were the answer for us.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

There is always something new to learn. Those reels predate my introduction to flyfishing by about 10 years. I have an old SA manufactured by Hardy but it has a totally different nomenclature; it is a model 130 roughly equivalent to the Hardy LRH (at least the spools are interchangeable).

Guy