Tidal Fish Forum banner

good striper recipe

23K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  NMC1946 
#1 ·
this came to me through my brother from a local gourmet and very well trained chef.

you will need

skinned (fresh) striper fillets
salt (sea salt better) 1 tsp
black pepper (fresh cracked better) 1 tsp
cayanne pepper 1 tsp
extra virgin olive oil or other cheap olive oil 1.5-2.5 tbsp
cheap chardonnay wine or other available white wine (1 cup)
pasta (cooked) if you like it with a bit of fresh grated parm.
side of vegetables if you like

take skinned striper fillets preferably about 1/2" to 1" in thickness and long and wide enough to fill a small fry pan or skillet, if you don't have a pan or skillet that can go from the stovetop to the oven then stop reading now.

place fillets on cutting board and sprinkle one side with salt, pepper, and cayanne pepper (not too much of any)

add enough olive oil (prefer extra virgin) to cover the bottom of the pan and place on medium-high stovetop until oil just starts to smoke a little.

place fillets seasoned side down in hot pan and sear for approximately 2.0 minutes, flip fillets over and cook for one minute on other side

add one cup of cheap chardonnay or other white wine thats around the house. bring up to a bubbly roll (approx 1 more minute on stovetop), and then insert into a pre heated 425 degree oven,

the length of stay in the oven will depend on the thickness of the fillet but in general 12-20 minutes.

once done (fish flakes easily w/ fork) serve fish with sides of your choice or as I prefer over a bit of pasta with a little juice from pan and some fresh parmasean and cracked pepper.

thats it pretty simple, fish will be very moist and delicious.

See less See more
#3 ·
Striper recipes

A good and very simple recipe is one I have been using for a couple of years. I use a bowl about 10 inches long that has a top . Put a piece of striper in that is almost as long as the bowl . I punch holes into the fish on both sides with a fork. Salt and pepper, then put 2 or 3 slices of real butter not margarine and then put a couple of slices of bacon on top. Cover & microwave on high for 8 minutes . It is very good. Plus you can eat it right out of the bowl its cooked in which makes for easy cleanup. We also do flounder, spot ,croaker ,spades it doesnt matter. Flounder usually takes on about 4 minutes and we always take all of the skin off all fish anyway. Try it you will like it .

#5 ·
My wife's recipe

My wife is the greatest cook I've ever seen. She's a better cook than my mother but that really ain't sayin' much.

I'm pretty sure I remember how she did it...

She started with skinned rockfish filets and a shallow skillet.

She put extra virgin olive oil, a touch of sesame oil and another touch of vermouth in the skillet and heated it. Be careful when doing this with olive oil as it smokes and ignites at much lower temps than does vegetable oil.

She split a fresh cayan (sp) pepper and a couple of fresh jalapino (sp) peppers and put them (open side down) in the hot oil for a few minutes. She also put a few thin slices of fresh ginger in the oil. This gave the oil a little spice but not too much.

She removed the peppers and ginger from the oil and seared the fish in the oil and then served it with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.

I was blown away! I skipped desert for an extra helping of fish! It was amazing!! :thumbup:

#7 ·
Personally I love my Striper grilled. Nothing like a skinned Striper filet with the right amount of seasoning. My quick and easy recipe after a long day on the water is: spray the filet on both sides with "olive oil" pam, sprinkle with McCormick Grill Mates "Roasted Garlic and Herb" seasoning (the pam helps it stick to the filet), splash with a little Chardonnay (adds to the flavor), then put it on the grill under medium heat for 8-10 minutes (4-5 on each side). I also sautee a vegetable medley on the grill, take a pack of Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls (put in aluminum foil to warm up) and wha-la 20 minutes later I promise you a meal that will even quiet's the wife about all the new fishing tackle you came home with that night!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.