Installing a bow mount Trolling Motor on a boat with a bow rail

Default Installing a bow mount Trolling Motor on a boat with a bow rail

I want to install a bow mount trolling motor on my boat but it has a bow rail. Can anyone point me to the solution they have used to overcome this problem? I prefer not to cut the front of the rail out, or remove the rail. any hlep would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ronnie

If you have trim tabs I've seen in a few catalogs where they have trolling motors that mount on to the tabs..... I've not seen any in action and know nobody with them installed but the pictures look interesting.

You could try having a plate (aluminum) fabricated that is offset from the bow and rail and use a quick release mount. While you're in there, you could also mount in a custom fit backer plate. I would think that one of the custom t-top shops could set you up.
    I've looked at the trolling tabs and they are pretty nice looking and seem to give the operator great control. I would imagine real close to the same investment after customizing a mounting plate.

Default bowmount

Hey, I did the same thing with a 17' wahoo. A company in south florida makes an offset mount that sets the motor out in front of the rail. They are Birdsong Marine. The rig I have only works with the hand control motors. it works great.
    Joe

I'm in the same pickle. I've got two considerations:

1. Install an intergrated hinge into the rail itself, to make a "door" you can open and close. I have the concept, but I have been unable to find one in real life. I might have to go to a machine shop before it's over!
    2. Install a trolling motor Pulpit,made from aluminum. This seems like a pretty reasonably-priced idea.

OH MAN.... I just realized this post is THREE years old!

Did anyone come up with a solution?

Get the stern mount motors that mount on trim tabs. they are remote controlled. I have them on my boat and they are nice.

That's an idea...

But I've already got a nice Riptide, and I've heard that you get superior steering control wth the motor pulling from the bow, rather than trying to compensate from the stern. With my current transom mount it takes a lot of steering, when the tide is moving!

But I don't know much about the tab-mounted units. Do you use yours much?

-TH

Default motors

every time I trout fish

Quote Originally Posted by surf rat View Post
    Get the stern mount motors that mount on trim tabs. they are remote controlled. I have them on my boat and they are nice.
    Ive seen this boat and it looks sweet. I am sure those tab motors are perfect for the job