Tidal Fish Forum banner

Oysters and Clams in Chincoteague?

17K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  gradyrat 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew of a few spots in Chincoteague to catch oysters and clams. I am taking the kids down the first week in april and was wondering if anyone had any decent locations that are not posted or private. Just wanted to get the kids out and have something to bring back to eat. I can go by boat or shore. Thanks in advance.

Larry.

#3 ·
Hi Larry. I'll echo what Jim said about the Oysters. As you drive in to Chincoteague you may see the private Oyster beds alongside the road. As for Clams, Tom's Cove is a popular choice for wading and has an information center (not sure of the hours). Also I suggest stopping by Steve's Bait & Tackle shop on Maddox St. Someone in there may be able to reveal/provide a map of even better clamming spots from a boat. Hope you and the kids have a great time.

Rich

#4 ·
Drumrunner, go over the bridge to Assateague Island, all the way through the refuge, across the causeway and stop at the NPS Visitor's Center on the right. They will tell you about an area very close by where you can clam (wading) from the shore. It's a short walk from the parking area. It will be on the Tom's Cove (bay side) of the island, not on the beach side. A lot of people clam there but you'll probably get a few. You will need a long-handled clam rake or even a metal garden rake in a pinch. Go at low tide if you can swing it. In my experience, your chances of locating any oysters, unfortunately, are about zero.
-rat

#5 ·
I didn't realize you had access to a boat. There are lots of clams in Tom's cove--and lots of sandbars that will leave you high and dry if you're not careful. If you are able, the Assateague Island side of the large sandbar that runs along the main channel out to the inlet is a good place. I usually run up and come in behind it and anchor in enough water so as not to be stranded at low tide. You will need a good chart to safely navigate in these waters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.