Trotline Anchors
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Default Trotline Anchors

What is the best thing you all have used as anchors for your lines?

Mark

i have used mushroom style anchors that i got at wal mart for the past few years. I think they are 15 or 20 lb anchors they seem to work great where i crab (pax and rhode rivers)

i have brake drums from 16" truck hubs they are heavy last for ever, and can be had for free from some brake places or car dealerships.also lip on drums dig in nice.

I have a 4 rotors if anyone wants them. They work well as anchors. They fit perfectly in a 5 gallon bucket. I prefer mushroom or river anchors, but you can't beat the cost of free rotors.

Do you think a 25 pound olympic weight would work OK? Put the chainn through the hole and connect both ends to each other with a snapswivel and then attach the line?

I use those rubber coated mushrooms too, they work good, easy to clean, and don't hurt the boat.

I've thought about using some of the old plastic coated weights(not Olympic weight plates) I have laying around in the basement, I'm sure they'd work fine too. I think the Olympic weights would rust just like brake drums, not worth wasting them.

I would think that the weight plates would slide.....wouldn't hold bottom, they don't have anything to "bite" into the mud, etc.....but again, I've never used them so this is purely speculation.
    Don't waste you weights, just go to the local brake shop and get some old rotors and bolt together in pairs.....free and they hold good

You can also get the "rubber" paint and Home Depot or Lowes and you can spray em' down real good for a little protection for them and your boat.

Tony

I use the mushroom style anchors... as others have said they work great!

Ditto on mushroom anchors !!

Have about 5 inches of melted wheel weight lead that I poured in a small coffee can,with an eyebolt inside, 30+ years ago.
    Tried the big coffee can,but could barely pick it up,and almost pulled the boat under trying to get it back up out of the mud. One's still down there!

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast