Tidal Fish Forum banner

Trotline Anchors

12K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  b dog 
#1 ·
What is the best thing you all have used as anchors for your lines?

Mark

#4 ·
I have a 4 rotors if anyone wants them. They work well as anchors. They fit perfectly in a 5 gallon bucket. I prefer mushroom or river anchors, but you can't beat the cost of free rotors.

#6 ·
I use those rubber coated mushrooms too, they work good, easy to clean, and don't hurt the boat.

I've thought about using some of the old plastic coated weights(not Olympic weight plates) I have laying around in the basement, I'm sure they'd work fine too. I think the Olympic weights would rust just like brake drums, not worth wasting them.

#7 ·
I would think that the weight plates would slide.....wouldn't hold bottom, they don't have anything to "bite" into the mud, etc.....but again, I've never used them so this is purely speculation.
Don't waste you weights, just go to the local brake shop and get some old rotors and bolt together in pairs.....free and they hold good:yes:

You can also get the "rubber" paint and Home Depot or Lowes and you can spray em' down real good for a little protection for them and your boat.

Tony

#10 ·
Have about 5 inches of melted wheel weight lead that I poured in a small coffee can,with an eyebolt inside, 30+ years ago.
Tried the big coffee can,but could barely pick it up,and almost pulled the boat under trying to get it back up out of the mud. One's still down there!

#15 ·
dude if you can get drums you get the advantage of a lip to dig in mud and grip. as for rust i have same pair from 1970's swah off before putting in boat to rid the mud and bang em togather to shake off any loose rust. i had a chance to get some drums off one of our fire engines ,i am sure they would hold but prob. sink boat.i think weights from lifting sets will slide. b dog

#16 ·
I use 2 at a time, they are bolted together, which also makes a handy reel for your anchor,lines & they usually can be stored in a 5 gal bucket, which , helps keep your boat clean

the best thing about then is they are free! most auto shops just throw them away

nothing wrong with lead anchors, I just prefer to save my lead for fishing sinkers,

& I'm too cheep to pay for a store bought anchor when they can be had for free

#17 ·
Anchors

I also was one of the fools that thought you had to buy everything. I started searching around a couple of years ago for the perfect anchors for my trotlines. I had a chance to check out RJ's rotor assemblies. I found mine at a local garage, FREE. They have good or I should say excellent holding power. I use a saying" If it's free, it's for me. Why buy when so many are trying to give things away.:D

Good Luck and have soome fun this year

John

#18 ·
I wait until the "old lady" really gets on my nerves, then I say "Let's go crabbing". After we get out there, I tie one end of the line to her ankle and shove her over. After I get a bushel, I pull her back up - she's real happy to be back and plus she likes the crabs. Good to go for another couple of days, maybe even a week! And while I'm catching the crabs, it's really peaceful on the boat.

(I know she's not free - but I'm already paying for it, might as well get as much use as I can).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.