5/18-5/19 trip options
From my kfs post:
I'm going to wet my hull and a line, for sure, this upcoming friday and saturday. I'm pretty open to options, although for some reason (Soxx's influence) I have this desire to do an overnight trip. Here's some ideas I'm kicking around.
1) they re-open the flats, and we give it a last chance. The flats have been pretty hit or miss... mostly miss... this year. I did catch some fish one time I went out, and some sizeable fish have been caught... especially on herring. I'd like to launch late in the afternoon and fish into the evening. Maybe even crash for a few hours on one of the islands... and fish early saturday morning.
2) black/red drum trip in VA. Check out the VA board on tidalfish.com... they have been posting great drum reports. Hard crabs on fishfinder rigs... and big drum from 20-90 pounds finding them irresistable. The night time bite is often best here... I'd drive down friday afternoon to get on the water before dark... fish through the night... maybe even troll some spoons or plugs for stripers on their way out of the bay Saturday morning, and drive home late saturday morning.
3) Upper potomac smallmouth float/camping. I'd like to get on the water early friday afternoon... float and fish until early evening. Set up a basic camp somewhere... maybe try for a few walleye in the late evening. Do the wiskey by the campfire thing, and crash for a few hours. Someone makes me some good scrambled eggs in the morning, break camp, and then put in a few more hours on Saturday morning looking for that lunker brownback or making a thousand casts for a muskie.
4) Drive down to Assateague Island (I have a 4x4 permit). Fish the back bay for flounder saturday afternoon/evening. Drive out on the beach overnight and surf fish for stripers/blues/skates. Play it by ear saturday morning whether we want to stay on the beach, head back to the bay, hit a local largemouth pond, etc...
I'm open to other ideas.
PS - right now I'm leaning towards drum trip or assateague.
OK Which option did you pick?
Fishing can be anything you want it to be
NPYC CCA CBF UBBB MSSA
Sadly, we picked option 5) wimp out due to the wind forecast and work conflicts.
Do you think the Drum will still be around at the middle/end of June? I may be down for a long day trip or overnighter to Assateague the weekend after Fathers Day.
Those drum don't really show up in numbers at Assatuegue. You want to target the area Fishermen posted about. Most of that water is protected so it was made for the kayak. However the day Fishermen was out there it was kind of snotty.
The fat lady might have sung by mid June for the real skinny/protected water spots, when the big bulls are concerned. I'm sure there still will be plenty up on 9' shoal but that's no place to be in a kayak when that wind kicks up out of nowhere.
Maybe paddle to one the islands and set up shop from land. That might work. I might be interested.
Yeah I wrote the post wrong. I actually meant a trip to VA Beach or Assateague. I will see how the next few weeks go and if it is doable.