Tidal Fish Forum banner

Colonial Beach, Potomac river fishing report

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Charte 
#1 ·
Going to the in-laws place on the Potomac this weekend. they have a house in Colonial Beach. This will be my first time fishing there. What is biting? And what should I be fishing for? Just trying to make sure my lil girl has fun fishing. This will be her first fishing trip.
Thanks
labman2

#2 ·
Labman2, you'll likely get more answers if you post this on the board which covers the Potomac area (Pt no Pt to Rappahannock) Also there is a Potomac River Angler's Club you can join and post on if you care to.

I usually fish from the Nomini bay, which is 12 miles or so down from CB. down to the middle bay, but I've heard reports of good croaker action at or near CB. You're more likely to get a lot of pullage for the youngster bottom fishing for croaker than trolling for striper.

#4 ·
It may be a bit early, but you can troll around Swan Point (across from CB) between the yellow markers and there is great fishing! Basicaly, on an incoming tide, the water pushes bait against the edge....troll that edge and get rocks, blues, and even Spanish. I don't think the blues and Spanish are there yet, but you can try.

Use small spoons tipped with something.

Good luck!

#6 ·
We loaded up un croaker Tuesday near Swann Point which is just across from Colonial Beach. Rock fishing has been good from St. Clements Island and down river but have not have not tried trolling for the last 10 days. I have fished the Colonial Beach area the last 20 years and it has always been very productive.

#9 ·
I bottom fished around CB last Saturday (5/19) from noon to about 7 PM. There were a lot of schools of bait but didn't catch anything but catfish. I listened to channel 68 but didn't hear of anybody doing anything. Of course the water was pretty bumpy due to the winds and tide which probably kept a lot of the fleet home. Water temp under the boat was about 65 F.

If you are unfamiliar with CB fishing, my suggestion would be to fish near the yellow "range" bouys. There is one right off the the beach that is sometimes productive. There are two marker bouys across the river at Swan Point, MD (water tower). Draw a line from there to the "danger" marker just down river, that area is usually productive if there is anything at all (this area is called "the lumps"). You will usually see the CB party (as in fishing) boat fishing there. Finally, down river from CB, just offshore at Westmoreland State Park is the "J" bouy. The downriver side tends to do well. I use squid and shrimp for bait...bloodworms are too expensive I don't seem to do any better with them.

If you are trolling, try the VA side just across from St. Clements Island and the mouth of the Wicomico (sp?).

That should be enough info to drain your gas tank and hopefully get a cooler full of fish.

Have a good trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.