Tog gear question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Tog gear question

Am new to tog fishing and looking for information on the best type of rod and reel to use. Tried it last year using a 6.5' Ugly Stick with a spinning reel. I was thinking this rod might be too "soft" and something a little stiffer might improve my hook up rate and my ability to keep them out of the rocks. Would appreciate your thoughts on the best combo and any other tips you might have on tog fishing. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Well HANKSTER, The first thing ya gotta lose is that spinning reel,while it will certainly reel one up its a poor choice for tog fishing in my opinion , mainly due to the mechanics of the reel. Get you a Penn 320 or a Penn209 or something simalar and load it with 30lb Big Game Mono. The ROD can be anything from a 6ft Penn peer stick medium heavy action all glass rod [ i use this rod for tog and sheephead in shallow water around the cbbt, cheap , bullet proff, not fancy, love it] or somthing longer like 6.5 or 7.0 for deeper water[ wrecks] that will give you a better , longer sweep of the rod when trying to set the hook and take up slack line qwickly to get a tog up and out of a wreck quickly. Your rod should have plenty of backbone [med heavy action] but dont get a broomstick its not needed , most fish are under 4 pounds and a really heavy rod will take some of the fun out of the fight. On the longer rod a grafite composition rod is nice, makes it lighter and more sensitive. Dont let anybody tell you that you need a soft tip rod to feel the bite , thats bullwussy, a soft tip will absorb the fell of a bite, you might SEE a bite if your a tip watcher[watch AND feel, youll catch more fish] but youll fell more with a sharper tip action rod. Once you put the line thro the guides tie a dropper loop about 4 to 6 inches long in the end of the line but leave a couple feet of line on the bitter end to tie a figure 8 loop knot about 8 to 10 inches from the dropper loop on the end for your sinker. Loop a 3/0 mustad live bait hook on the dropper loop and loop a 8 oz sinker on the bottom loop and your ready to go. If you get hung or broke off its quick and easy to retie and back to fishing. Hope that helped you.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

i tog fish with spinning reels exclusively, i have no problems bringing em up.

Talking Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    i tog fish with spinning reels exclusively, i have no problems bringing em up.
    I also use a spinning reel without any problems and catch plenty of Tog.
    I keep the bail open with the line on the bottom of the spool and my finger on the line,when the fish bites all I do is lift up the rod and set the bail.
    WALLA! a Catch!
    Last edited by Flounderman2001; 08-19-2007 at 07:46 AM.

Yep, spinning reel will work. But with a conventional reel you can thumb the spool and allways keep a tight line,espes when tinking around looking for holes and crevices, find a hole thumb the spool to hit the bottom engage reel with a quick throw of the lever and your ready for a quick bite as often happens tog fishing. With a spinning reel as i said ,due to the mechanics of haveing to open the bail, let line spool off , close bail, take up slack, opps sorry you were takeing up slack when he was munching your fiddler, reel up and try again. With a conventional everything is instant and direct. HAKSTER, if your more comfortable with a spinner or cant master a conventional, use what you want , either will work GOOD FISHIN TO YA.

Penn 320 GTI with an aftermarket POWER handle. You need at least two tog rods. I use 50 lb. braid on one and 40 lb. mono on one. Catch more fish on the braid (especially when fishing deep water) but I think if you are in an area that produces really big tog then the mono is probably better.
    Its just my opinion but I think a really big (18 lb. +) tog will put too much pressure on a braid equiped rod & reel and you may either end up ripping the hook out of the fish or bending the hook so it pulls. So if your out where the world records live I would fish with mono. Having the other set up with braid helps you fish deep water & strong currents. Sometimes the braid will let you fish better than the mono so its the better choice. I think you have to be able to adapt to the situation but if I had my choice I would rather be hooked up to a monster tog with mono than braid. But the braid will put MORE fish in the boat.

Heavy 6 ft. to 6 ft. 6inch rod. I like fiberglass rods for fishing with braid. Fenwick Pacific Stick rods are hard to beat for this work. A graphite composite rod is ok for use with mono since it stretches a bit but I have seen a few of them snap on big fish. No buggy whips allowed for tog fishing..

There are some really good tog guys that post on this board. Maybe some of them will chime in.

How about it guys?? Capt. Joe? Speckhunter? Rob Holtz? Paige2?
    Is Old Joe still around? That guy used to be a wealth of tog info.!

Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!

Quote Originally Posted by blue lou View Post
    THere's 1 on ebay but I think it's a fresh water model

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rhahn427 View Post
    THere's 1 on ebay but I think it's a fresh water model
    If any of the Sheepshead Bay guys puts one on Ebay, he would be strung up. Besides, who would know what to do with it.

Going fishing anyt time soon Rick?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast