Feral Hogs in Maryland?
    Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Feral Hogs in Maryland?

Dear Maryland Hunter:

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources is seeking information on the presence of feral (wild) hogs in Maryland. At present, we do not know of any established feral hog populations in our state, but it is important that we quickly find out if any populations should be discovered.

Feral hogs in the southeast United States have destroyed forest understory plants and devastated wildlife habitat. Isolated populations have been discovered in West Virginia, Virginia, and Ohio. It is critical for the protection of Maryland wildlife resources that we not allow feral hogs to become established here.

If you have seen or killed a feral hog in Maryland, please call me at the number below. If you know of someone who has seen or killed a feral hog, please urge them to contact me directly. If these destructive animals become established in our state, all of our wildlife resources will suffer - as will farmers, homeowners and Maryland's public lands. The sooner we learn or their presence, the better we will be able to deal with their removal.

Thanks, and I wish you all a safe and rewarding season afield.

Jonathan A. McKnight

Associate Director for Habitat Conservation

Maryland Department of Natural Resources

Wildlife and Heritage Service

508 Taylor Avenue

Annapolis, MD. 21401

410-260-8539

jmcknight@dnr.state.md.us
    Last edited by Ichthyus; 10-12-2007 at 10:30 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Actually wouldn't mind seeing a small population here, would be another hunting opportunity and probably pretty good eats!

Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!

Soooooo .......... ya don't think the word would get out quick if there were some killed? .......... I would think that the game wardens (especially in the Western Counties) would know ........ they are in contact with the farmers alot ......... especially if the pigs were digging up some farmers crops there would be alot of talk and then there is animal control ............ and there would definitely be braggin rights if a hunter got one ......... the word would spread quick ........... this sounds like somebody trying to stir up something ..........

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I just got back from Myrtle Beach, and a local hunting show interviewed the SCDNR about pigs. Basicaly they are multipling so fast they can't control them, they have caused more damage to the land than any other animal there.

There are no limits and the DNR rep was begging people to kill them.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

We have them in Back Bay WMR and False Cape SP in Virginia, I have killed a few and there is not much to them. Very lean not much meat even on a big one they are all gut, very destructive. ASK AN EXPERT!: What’s the difference between non-native and invasive species?

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

If anyone knows where some hogs are at.....ive always wanted to get one of those ugly guys and have a nice roast! Let us know!

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rhahn427 View Post
    Soooooo .......... ya don't think the word would get out quick if there were some killed? .......... I would think that the game wardens (especially in the Western Counties) would know ........ they are in contact with the farmers alot ......... especially if the pigs were digging up some farmers crops there would be alot of talk and then there is animal control ............ and there would definitely be braggin rights if a hunter got one ......... the word would spread quick ........... this sounds like somebody trying to stir up something ..........
    Guys, this message thread is posted in response to a feral hog killed on the road in Allegany County. There are reports of hunter-killed hogs in Carroll and Charles Counties. The information I want to clarify is whether any of these hogs are from a population that is reproducing in the wild or if these pigs are just runaways. The only thing I'm trying to "stir up" is a little info from guys who spend a lot of time in the woods. Mac

Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Ichthyus View Post
    Guys, this message thread is posted in response to a feral hog killed on the road in Allegany County. There are reports of hunter-killed hogs in Carroll and Charles Counties. The information I want to clarify is whether any of these hogs are from a population that is reproducing in the wild or if these pigs are just runaways. The only thing I'm trying to "stir up" is a little info from guys who spend a lot of time in the woods. Mac
    Gottcha .......... thanks for the explanation ........... looks like reports were made from various organizations .......... will be on the lookout ........

Are they even listed as legally harvestable in MD?