Tidal Fish Forum banner

Feral Hogs in Maryland?

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  LesterLee 
#1 · (Edited)
Dear Maryland Hunter:

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources is seeking information on the presence of feral (wild) hogs in Maryland. At present, we do not know of any established feral hog populations in our state, but it is important that we quickly find out if any populations should be discovered.

Feral hogs in the southeast United States have destroyed forest understory plants and devastated wildlife habitat. Isolated populations have been discovered in West Virginia, Virginia, and Ohio. It is critical for the protection of Maryland wildlife resources that we not allow feral hogs to become established here.

If you have seen or killed a feral hog in Maryland, please call me at the number below. If you know of someone who has seen or killed a feral hog, please urge them to contact me directly. If these destructive animals become established in our state, all of our wildlife resources will suffer - as will farmers, homeowners and Maryland's public lands. The sooner we learn or their presence, the better we will be able to deal with their removal.

Thanks, and I wish you all a safe and rewarding season afield.

Jonathan A. McKnight

Associate Director for Habitat Conservation

Maryland Department of Natural Resources

Wildlife and Heritage Service

508 Taylor Avenue

Annapolis, MD. 21401

410-260-8539

jmcknight@dnr.state.md.us

See less See more
#3 ·
Soooooo .......... ya don't think the word would get out quick if there were some killed? .......... I would think that the game wardens (especially in the Western Counties) would know ........ they are in contact with the farmers alot ......... especially if the pigs were digging up some farmers crops there would be alot of talk and then there is animal control ............ and there would definitely be braggin rights if a hunter got one ......... the word would spread quick ........... this sounds like somebody trying to stir up something ..........

#7 ·
Guys, this message thread is posted in response to a feral hog killed on the road in Allegany County. There are reports of hunter-killed hogs in Carroll and Charles Counties. The information I want to clarify is whether any of these hogs are from a population that is reproducing in the wild or if these pigs are just runaways. The only thing I'm trying to "stir up" is a little info from guys who spend a lot of time in the woods. Mac

#4 ·
I just got back from Myrtle Beach, and a local hunting show interviewed the SCDNR about pigs. Basicaly they are multipling so fast they can't control them, they have caused more damage to the land than any other animal there.

There are no limits and the DNR rep was begging people to kill them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.