St. Maarten Fly Fishing?
    Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default St. Maarten Fly Fishing?

I'm heading down to St. Maarten in the end of December and would love to do some fly fishing for bonefish, permit, etc. I have been looking online but all I see is offshore charters. Does anyone know of any flats guides down there or have any experience going alone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I was down there last summer. You would think that the climate and ecosystem is ideal, but apparently not. We rented a beautiful villa at Baie Rouge and I fished the reef off our beach every morning and afternoon. I didn't catch much of anything, I did catch a few of these blue/yellow iridescent grouper looking fish, the size of a small bass. About 2 days later I grabbed a mask and swam through the reefs, not much in there! There are some beautiful coral fish, the kind you would see in a fish tank. And there were these guys that looked like cuda cruising around, but I never landed one.

Someone did tell me that there was decent tarpon on the north side near Marigot. I didn't try it, but perhaps Simpson Bay has some fish in there and it is definitely wade-able. I think its basically a tidal pool. We did go fishing offshore and landed some really nice mahi-mahi.

My family just bought a villa down there, so please report back with your results.

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber Lite - I support Tidal Fish! CaptMikeStarrett's Avatar

Default Never been there but...

Bring back a bottle of Absinthe at least..

Also the local rums are good and cheap. The fishing is mostly offshore but the dutch side beaches are topless. I would fish that side all day...

My two daughters just came back from there and caught some nice offshore fishing..

I got the rum...

Yipee..my daily rations have arrived.

Capt Mike

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I was in St. Maarten 3 weeks ago and was inquiring about the fishing. Doesn't seem to be a lot of it going on other than a few off-shore charters. Couldn't even find a tackle shop on the island.

p.s. It's the French side of the island that is "clothing optional". There's good and bad with that scenerio. I highly recommend a trip to Orient Beach.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The next time anyone is looking for an inshore guide on St. Maarten/ St. Martin look no further.