Metal Jig Sizes (Stingsilvers, etc.)

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Metal Jig Sizes (Stingsilvers, etc.)

Was wondering what everyone would recommend size wise for metal jigging spoons like Stingsilvers or Hopkins in the mid to upper bay and also the CBBT area? Right now I'm looking at 1 1/8 - 2 oz sizes. Thanks!

PS - Man there's a lot to learn when it comes to striper fishing.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 11-08-2007 at 09:51 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

One other question... in the Stingsilvers or Hopkins do you like the normal length (long) body or the short body? Thanks!
    Last edited by Shaggy; 11-08-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

For stripers, I like the big 3oz jobber that is oval shaped & kinda flat... It has a great flutter action the the rock love...

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I perfer the sting silvers in the original shape. 2 oz...

The reason I like these guys is they get down fast. I usually only use them when the current is high or the conditions are snotty and holding bottom with a BA is tough. I don't carry any lighter stings. If I can lighten up on a 2 oz sting silver it is time to switch to a Bass Assasin.

I do carry a few "flat" jigging spoons and occationally they are what the fish want over a bass assasin. Not common, but it does happen. A crippled alwife for something similar fills this nitch nicely.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Rattletrap's Avatar

At the CBBT fishing 40' plus with strong current you may want some 3oz or more. I prefer the short ones.

I've never caught a fish at CBBT on metal. Tried a few times, but always went back to lead/rubber. North of the Patapsco, Hopkins shorty 1-1.5oz or a stingsilver can't be beat.
    Pat in Joppa

In the late summer and fall when blues are present and the bait is small, you can't beat a shorty hopkins or small kastmaster in the upper side of the water column. The problem with getting deep is that if the bait is still small, the heavier jigs are also much bigger than the bait. I guess that is where those short fat SS come into their own.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

BB area when fishing near the bottom - Favs are 2 oz trad style stingilvers, dressed single hook. Low current when fish are on the bottom, hopkins shorty in 1 or 1.5 oz, also single hook. Seen some nice fish recently on 1.5 crock spoons and last night on long hopkins. This time of year I often use smallish dropper fly. Also make my some jigs out of inline sinkers (suggestion from others here) in various colors and sizes look similar to this - smaller ones are killer perch jerkers since they're now deep: