Knots for large spoons
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Knots for large spoons

What is the best knot to a tie a 13/0 or a 11/0 crippled alewive to 50lb.mono leader?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I tie a double overhand knot to make a large loop, haven't lost one yet

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I like to use a good quality snap (not a snap swivel).I tie a Palomar knot to secure the snap.This way the large spoon is not banging into the rod or nicking the leader when running out.It also let's the spoon swim more freely. Skip

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I pull big spoons on 20 ft leaders. Halfway back is a barrel swivel, everything is knotted together with uniknots. On the spoon I tie the knot, put my thumb on the spilt ring, and pull the knot tight down to my thumbnail. This leaves a small loop at the lure. I also use that same trick on Mirrolures for leaving a loop at the lure so it works with more action. Believe it or knot () that loop won't pull down the leader once you sinch it.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber ReelSmith's Avatar

I like to put a split ring on to the existing ring of the spoon and tie directly to the split ring or I use the rapala loop knot The Rapala Knot to tie to the spoon...having some extra play in the connection to the lure allows it to swim with more action.
    Catch'em Up!!!
    Ralph

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Skip

Why not a Snap Swivel

Thanks, Larry

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I was taught that the snap swivel dampens the action of the spoon.Might just be a wives tale but I just use a snap or tie to a second split ring.
    What could be more mundane than dying of old age or of natural causes when there is death by misadventure to be pursued ? Skip

Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish!

Quote Originally Posted by puddljumpr View Post
    I like to put a split ring on to the existing ring of the spoon and tie directly to the split ring or I use the rapala loop knot The Rapala Knot to tie to the spoon...having some extra play in the connection to the lure allows it to swim with more action.
    Ralph has the right idea. This knot will work on any minnow lure, (stretch, Rapala, Rebel, Sassy shads, etc.) Even works with small line. I use this knot even when bass fishing in a pond. Puts more action into any spoon. Doesn't matter what size. I tie all my Spanish Mac rigs this way. Next time you are on the water, rig up a spoon with cinch knot and one with the rapala knot. Hang both over the side and see which one looks better. I also agree with the adding of a split ring to the lure if it doesn't already have one. I do this with all lures.
    TRY IT YOU WILL LIKE IT

LBubba

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I use basicly what Darren said. I use a 20ft piece of 50 or 80lb mono leader materal tie a barerel swivel to one end at the other end I tie direct to the spoon with a uni knot. Right in the middle of the leader materal I tie a barrel swivel with a uni knot. the barrel swivwl keep the whole leader from twisting.

Now go fishing

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

if im not using a snap swivel, then i use a split ring a good solid barrel swivel. depending on the sppon size i usually use 40lb mono i find that 50 and up will twist easy because of its diameter. my leaders are usually about 15 ft for big bunker spoons but if its a drone spoon that im running on a planer for tuna its usually 20-25 ft long with a barrel swivel connection in the middle using crimps.