Where is a good place to live in Maryland? - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

There are great schools everywhere, they just usually arent the public ones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've been in the Broadneck area for a couple of years. I'll highly reccomend this section of the Chesapeake Bay. Can't say yes or no about the schools or other services but my neighbors say the schools are very good. My wife makes that drive in to DC every day and you'd think she was driving to New York to hear her talk, but it really ain't so bad. 35 minutes to Capitol Hill when there's no traffic, 90 minutes when there is. Rt 50 clogs up at times, but it ain't nuthin' like 66. I'm a country boy so if I had my choice, I'd be over on the shore. Second choice, Calvert County.

I'd say anywhere on the water.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Don't move to Calvert, it sucks.

I also live on the Magothy River in the Broadneck section of Anne Arundel County. My daughter teaches school in Severna Park at a Blue Ribbon elementary. She is a product of the Broadneck Schools and as far as quality of life is concerened the area is great. Commuting to D.C. can take upwards of one hour, but think of what you have to come home to, pleasant living. Now for just a mere million or so you can live on the water.

I have lived in Calvert County for 12 years. Ten years in the Southern end of Calvert and am presently in Central Calvert County (Huntingtown) for the last two years. My kids are 14 and 17 and love Calvert County Schools. Check-out Newsweeks ratings of various schools throughout the U.S. America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Don't move to Calvert, it sucks.
    You're just trying to close the door behind you...

Virginia!

Delaware -- Get the best of the Chesapeake and DE Bays.

All kidding aside. I live in the Cape St. Claire section of Annapolis on the Broadneck Peninsula. You wont beat the public school system and many communities offer a "bay lifestyle" for your family. You also are in close proximity of downtown Annapolis which is a great place to go with the family or on a date.

Check out HomesDatabase and search zip codes 21409 and 21012

If you have kids, then I assume that after home price, school system will be your top criteria. Regarding schools, many factors -- some of them dependant on the individual needs of your own child - go into deciding what school is best, of course. Anne Arundel County has several well-respect private schools; my personal favorite (based on what I know) is Severn School in Severna Park. Key School (near Annapolis), Indian Creek (Crownsville), Spalding (off of Rt. 97 south of Balt.) and Annapolis Area Christian also get good marks. I've heard more mixed reviews about St. Mary's (Annapolis), but I have no first-hand experience.

As for public schools, AA County has a mixed bag (to put it charitably). Right after college, and again while studying for the bar, I substitute taught at Arundel (west-central county), Annapolis, Broadneck (Arnold-area), South River (Edgewater), Severna Park (Severn River) and Old Mill (north central county) high schools. I am also an '88 Severna Park alum.

My experience was that Annapolis presented a very challenging and very segregated learning environment due to serious discipline problems and extreme socio-economic differences between student factions. I would not send my kids there without concrete evidence of significant improvement. In fact, it's why we moved to Arnold when we had our first child.

Old Mill, South River and Arundel had fewer discipline problems, from what I could discern, but the students were not particularly academic-oriented (although S.R. had more select classes with students who were much more motivated). I understand that Arundel has improved, however. I expect that both schools are so, so, today, but continue to hear negative reviews of Old Mill. So, you’ll want to research these carefully before moving into one of those school districts.

Broadneck and SP were head and shoulders above the rest, both academically and in terms of how the students and faculty seemed to feel about the school. SP students were somewhat more consistently academically oriented than Broadneck, but both seem like great schools. SP seems to have improved from the time I attended it, although both BN and SP will likely continue to have the drug/alcohol problems typical of a wealthy (and sometimes competitive/spoiled) suburban district. Even SP, however, would probably only be an average school, based on academic performance measures, when compared with public schools in Howard or Montgomery County.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast