Tidal Fish Forum banner

Report: 3/30 - Bloody Point and Below

936 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  tydog 
#1 ·
Today was an unusual day. I had to take my daughter to the airport to go to Japan for 11 days. She is 23 and going by herself for a vacation and is a very experienced traveler. However, a dad still worries. Then one of my crew got sick and couldn't go. It was too late to call someone and I just wanted to get on the water.

I finally got on the water about 1:00. This was the first trip of the season and the first time I have used planer boards by myself. It went remarkably smooth with calm seas if I do say so myself. I had bought a set of Skip's boards and they worked very well.

This is the spread I put out:

Rod 1: 2 oz. white chute - Planer Board - 90' out
Rod 2: 3 oz/5 oz tandem white chute - Planer Board - 90' out
Rod 3: 20" umbrella with 4 oz white Chute - 10 oz inline sinker - boat rod holder - 120' out
Rod 4: 4 oz/6 oz tandem white chutes - 20 oz inline sinker - boat rod holder
Rod 5: 4 oz/6 0z tandem chart chutes - 24 oz inline sinker - boat rod holder
Rod 6: 20" umbrella with 4 oz chart chute - 12 oz inline sinker - boat rod holder - 120' out
Rod 7: 3 oz/5 oz tandem chart chute - Planer Board - 90' out
Rod 8: 2 oz. chart chute - Planer Board - 90' out

All chutes had 9" shads of the same color on them except for rod 8 which and a green/chart two-tone shad on it.

Since this was my first time out I used 60' planer lines to see how everything worked and to get used to manuvering the boat with planer boards. I also made a set of 80' lines and will probably use them next time.

I have two more rods I can put out and they would go on the boards 90' out with a 4 oz/6 oz tandem when I have more crew and I would use the 80' lines.

We caught one 36 " on rod 3 (personal best for Ira my fishing buddy) and a 32" on rod 8. Rod 2 had two knock downs but no hookups.

I talked to several TF'er out there. Bullseye seemed to be doing pretty good. Calpn Trayt was sitting in his driveway looking for info. I didn't have much to report when I talked to him but glad to help out.

I found some adjustments that I need to make but all in all a good day on the water.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.