Lightweight Foul Weather Gear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Lightweight Foul Weather Gear?

When I went from a WA to a CC, I promised my wife that I'd get foul weather gear to keep on the boat. I need recommendations for something light weight that will keep us dry.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default rain gear

Grundens makes a nice line from frigid temps up to warm temps that are breathable.
    Not sure of a store that carries them in stock. I ordered all of mine online. Google grundens if you wanna do it that way.

I second the grundens. IMO on the boat you need complete waterproofing so the PVC coated oil gear is the only way to go. Grundens, Helly Hansen and even west marine all make good stuff

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Frog Toggs is great for light rain gear plus stops the wind. Cabelas sells a set(pant & jacket ) for around $50. My wife likes it because she can fit clothes under it for colder days. Bass Pro also carries it but not sure the price there.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Not sure how light weight you mean.I have a set from Boater's World .Seperate bibs and a jacket were about $150.00 total.They fit nice and really keep me dry and warm.Most times when it is raining-it is also cooler and sometimes windy.Very light rain gear won't do much to keep you warm.I've worn mine in summer rain storms and never been hot in it.

I had a light weight suit but it was "tear able " . My current set has been abused for 5 seasons- other then some stains- they are still in great shape.
    What could be more mundane than dying of old age or of natural causes when there is death by misadventure to be pursued ? Skip

Blog Entries

I bought some columbia ROL foul weather gear last year it is great stuff. I have the heavy grundens stuff for the all day storms but it is hot in the summer
    Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.
    Uncle Bob

Second the frog toggs - you need to newer stuff not the older Frog Togg. Also Mountain Hardware, Cohesion Series makes some more expensive stuff; jacket 150 pant 110. Rubber does not breath and its not really all season foul weather gear.

Mountain Hardwear: Jackets : Cohesion Jacket

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I keep a set of Frogg Toggs on my boat .They are ideal in the summer.The one down side is they don`t like anything with sharp edges.In the fall ,winter and early spring Grudens work for me.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I second that on the frogg toggs. they do rip easily but they are very light weight and breath very well. I picked up mine for less than $50 for the pants and coat.

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish

If you want something that is several steps up from Frogg Toggs, take a look at Cabelas lightweight Goretex raingear. After my previous Helly Hansen rainsuit left me soaking last summer during a fishing trip to Maine, as soon as I got home, I went to Cabelas in PA and checked out their rainsuits. I already had a decent heavier rain jacket. I wanted something that was light enough for warm weather. I also wanted to be able to fold the jacket up and take it in a suitcase for trips. I found just what I wanted, and in a tall version too (great for my 6'4" body). I have not been out in a down pour yet, but on normal rainy days going to work, etc., the jacket works great. I paid about $100 for the jacket and another $100 for the pants.
    John Veil
    Scout 162 Sportfish
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Manta Ray 14, Slayer Propel 10, and Slayer Propel 13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast