Tidal Fish Forum banner

Advance Auto Parts and Your Auto Warranty!!

11K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Jim Hodge 
#1 ·
After buying my oil, filters, grease and other products at Advance Auto Parts, I find the receipts I have been preserving to maintain the warranty have faded to a blank piece of paper. Unacceptable as proof of maintanence to the dealer. I questioned Advance about replacements, was told I should have kept them in the house (out of heat) and there was nothing they could do about it.

So, according to Advance, I am out the remainder of the factory warranty and a total loss on the $2000 extended warranty on a 2yr old $40,000 pickup truck!

Anyone have any experience with anything like this???
budc

#3 ·
I just bought my oil and filter on Monday and they DID ask for my phone #. They do have records of all my stuff. Also most extended warranty's will let you cancle for the pro-rated amount left, not much but still is a few bills back in your packet.

TED

#4 ·
I purchased Brake Pads and shoes at Advanced Auto last Friday. Parts man said "Can I get your phone number for the warranty?" Sounds like Jimmy is right, you should be able to get that information from the manager at the store. BTW - I've purchaed the majority of my parts from Advanced Auto in the past 4 or 5 years and have not had one problem yet.

Just doesn't seem right that you "Call Out" Advanced Auto on an internet forum for having recepits with "disappearing" ink. Majority of stores have the same ink.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replys. I'm sure there is a solution to this thing, but stay posted!!!
I do remember them asking for the phone number therefore, I'll pursue it with the store manager as suggested.
The ink problem turns out to be the thermal printer they use in the registers. I keep my receipts in the Owners Manual in the glove box. When heat gets to the papers, the "ink" does indeed disappear. I had written the date and milage on each receipt and that is all there is on the papers.
C-Hawk, I sort of agree with you on "calling out" Advance, but then I sort of don't....
When I approached the sales person, I was told "You should have kept them in the house" and "Theres nothing I can do about it" and "Well, thats the way it is".
I'm not the type to throw away 75,000 miles of warrenty and $2K and smile about it.

I suppose each time I leave town I should take a cooler to keep the receipts in!!
Advance should provide a durable receipt.
budc

#5 · (Edited)
MYSTERY??

Hey Guys,
I see there are supposed to be 3 "replys" to this post, but I cannot get them to come up on the screen............anyone know whats wrong?????
budc
Guess what happened when I put this on..............the others all came up!!
False Alarm.
budc

#7 ·
BUDC,

I really don't think the recepit you have (with the mileage written on it but the other stuff "faded") would be cause for denial of any Warranty claim. If that were enough to deny the claim the how will you "prove" to them that you actually put those parts in that vehicle when they ask? Or that you did it on the date you say?

#8 ·
I dont know. What would stop someone from returning the stuf and keeping the original receipt? I had a warrantee recertified on a used car by paying the dealer to "inspect" it and verify the maintainence had been done. That was a 1 year old 1967 Camero, so maybe they have a way to tell.
The receipts I have are nothing but blank strips of register paper with my hand writing of the date and mileage. ALL of the register printing is totally gone--not a trace.

My lawyer says you don't have a problem until GM refuses the warrentee. After that we can persue it legally. So until something breaks, I'll be working with Advance to get some sort of acceptable receipt.

budc

#9 ·
As a former Advance employee . . . . The register tape that receipts are printed on is thermal. You can take a lighter to it and make it black. They will fade over time in the glove box or up on the dash. As someone else mentioned, most "hard" parts should be listed under a phone number. Of course when they upgrade the computer systems sometimes that stuff is lost.

I can't really foresee you having any warranty problems because the receipt went blank.

Hope everything works out to your advantage.

#10 ·
I have worked in a dealer ship for 35 years , and in management for 18 of those years
dealing with warrantys and maintance records is not as complicated as dealers make it sound
I have been told by factory reps many times
As long as the customer has a record book that shows date and milage , and the engine is not sludged
the dealer can not turn down the warranty ,
I have seen dealers do this in the past and when it gets to court the dealed looses
Many people like to do their own maintance , as long as you keep records you are fine

#11 ·
I appreciate your input. Perhaps I'm a over-reacting to being told "...thats the way it is." and being offered no better answer to the problem, really ticked me off! I really don't want the hassle of court, so I'll try to get back to Advance this week and see what the management will do. Hopefully, the clerk I talked to isn't the manager!!

Thanks Guys, for your help. :yes: :thumbup:
budc

#13 ·
Receipts

Advance receipts do fade over time. I like the idea of the lifetime warranty they provide on parts like alternators and starter etc. because the parts do eventually go bad and I wouldn't have to "buy" them a second time. For that reason I scan and make a copy of the receipt and and staple the original on the printed copy. NowI have a file in my computer, as well as a copy that doesn't fade and athe original.

Just last week, I got a 10 year old rack and pinion replaced for free. The manager siad he was rather impressed with the fact that I had the faded original and a copy that he could clearly read and confirm the information.

Advance receipt are thermal printed just like many other retail store receipts (if not the majority). MAKE COPIES AND FILE THEM!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.