10% ethanol and 2 stroke

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default 10% ethanol and 2 stroke

I was told the 10% ethanol gas was bad for a 2 stroke because it thinned out the oil mix. Is 10% ethanol gas harmful for a 2 stroke ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish goinsfishin's Avatar

If it is it hasn't seem to have had any effect on any of my 2S engines. Boat, chainsaw, weed whacker all seem to be fine. Been running ethanol (no choice) for the last couple years. I would guess it could possibly have an effect on pre-mix that has sat around awhile but nothing that shaking the can shouldn't cure. On 2S boat motors with separate oil tanks the oil is mixed in the manifold(carbed) or the injector system (FI) so it shouldn't have any effect.
    Capt. Steve Goins and JoeDaDog
    Stormy Petrel Charters
    www.stormypetrelcharters.com
    443-223-2218

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have run e10 in my boat for 2 years and havent noticed a difference other than slightly worse fuel mileage. I do run the recommended OptiMax oil which supposively doesnt mix well with the fuel anyhow. I will say that if a boat is running a 50:1 ratio in fuel and oil, whether or not you run e10 or not that ratio isnt going to change.

No issues running it so far on my etec. 100hours no problem - I am a fan of Startron

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

ditto on the HPDI. Slightly worse mileage.

Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish!

minor water in the filter, however, first time user of e-10. use startron and sta-bil for ethanol.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Startron

I started having problems when I first switched to ethanol then I added some startron and my problems went away. Now I use startron in every tank every time and I have no problems.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

2 years, no problems, no addatives

Then again I drained the tanks completely before introducing E-10 into the system to eliminate any possibility of residual water left over from the previous 8 years of service.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

First tank- major issues second time out after it sat for a few days. Changed filter, lotta water in it, then no major issues. Lost about 500 rpms though.

I am a startron additive convert to help avoid any E-10 concerns. Definitely worth the extra $8-12 bucks (west marine tends to put this on sale from time to time) for the small bottle to have around.

I put it in with my first fill up this year, the startron combined with end of the season tune up with new plugs and fluids, has my engine runnning a lot smoother, a 200 HP 2 stroke 2004 Evinrude Direct oil injected.

I have almost zero smoke, even on start up, spring slow trolling left less exhaust stains on the motor and I picked up at couple 100 more RPM's at the top end. I used to get to about 5400-5500 and I was able to get 5600-5700 all trimmed up in the river.