Question How do you tell if fish is too old or spoiled
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default How do you tell if fish is too old or spoiled

This question is for people that know what they're talking about - I know if it feels slimy or stinks than it's getting bad but I would like a little more info if possible.

I fish a few times a week and also do fish printing art which means I constantly have coolers of fish around the house. If possible I always try to clean my fish (to eat) asap but the fish I use for art have to be prepped and are out while i'm doing the work on them. I've started gutting and removing the gills from the fish I want to print and eat to give them more 'shelf life' but i've always wondered how can you tell if fish is getting close to spoiling.

What do you think is the best way to tell it's going bad and how long is too long to wait to clean a fish?
    Thanks for your help on this - I appreciate any decent comments on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber racn35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cuervo Sportfishing View Post
    This question is for people that know what they're talking about - I appreciate any decent comments on it.

Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish!

Talking I don't know much, but I do know...

When the smell of fish is worse than the waves of stink coming off of people who douse themselves in cheap cologne of purfume, it's time to get rid of it.

Good Fishin

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The eyes on a fish can sometimes be a good indicator, After some time you will notice they sink back in the head. Thats what I always check when I walk by the seafood counter to see how fresh their fish are.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

When you are working gill nets you look at the gills. If they are pink or red you can keep them. If they are brown they are crab bait.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Eyes and Gills

Four days or if the core temp. gets above 37* for more than one hours after initial refrigeration. Why not freeze the fish as soon as you receive it, work with it on ice to prevent thawing, give it back frozen, thaw, cook, eat. I would rather eat a fish that has been frozen than one your not sure has been kept refrigerated too long.

Four day/37* one hour is somthing a chef told me.

Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish!

Default Ice Bath

If you are going to keep fish refrigerated for an extended period add ice around the fish while it's in the fridge and replace that ice daily. I don't trust refrigerators and their settings. An ice bath will maintain and guarantee a cold core temperature. We use it to calibrate radiometer equipment for measuring ocean temperatures. It is a great cold source with uniform temperature. Personally, if I don't eat fish the same day it either goes in the freezer vacuum sealed or on ice in the fridge to be eaten the next day.

Good Fishin

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My father owned a seafood restaurant for more than 25 years and the best advice has already been given, it's all in the eyes.

Cloudy eyes and dull pink gill rakers are sure sighns that the fish is spoiled.If you think your fish is no good throw it out dont guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast