Fishing Report Port Deposit

Thread: Port Deposit

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Jerkbait-PA's Avatar

Default Port Deposit

I fished Port Deposit Saturday July 12. I had hoped to get a few stripers in the early morning hours then see how the smallmouth fishing would be as the sun got higher. I caught neither! The only thing that seamed remotely interested in my offerings was a couple of needlefish.

There was a bass tournament going on and the guys I talked to werenít doing any better then me. One guy told me that he has been catching some nice smallmouth 3-4 pounds in the same areas during several tournaments this year, but there just didnít seam to be bass on those spots now. I wonder if he brought those fish back to where he caught them. If not maybe he shouldn't expect them to return on their own.

Stripers 0
    Smallmouth 0
    Largemouth 0
    Walleye 0
    Perch 0

Not my best trip!

Jerkbait-PA

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Water is real hot right now. I havent got a smallie all year in the river. the perch and catfishin is good right now. Fished Friday, got many perch, one striper about 12" while fishin for perch with a striper. Got nothin but catfish while live lining with perch. Some of the cats were over 10#

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Theyve been running water in the afternoon. Last hr of daylight has been pretty good on a few walleye and smallies. I havent seen a striper since spring, which is a little unusual, though I dont really target them there this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkbait-PA View Post
    I wonder if he brought those fish back to where he caught them. If not maybe he shouldn't expect them to return on their own.

Hey Jerkbait - Have you ever heard of UB-56?

I think it was University of Md. in conjunction with DNR that did a radio tracking study and found that the majority of "displaced" fish (LM Bass) did return to their point of capture.

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish Capt.Nick's Avatar

How far ,How long, and what happened to the nest"UB"University of BS"
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Capt Nick,

I'll try and find the study. I saw a printed verion, but I'm sure it's on-line somewhere. There was one done on the Upper Bay and also one of the Potomac. These happened back in the 1990's. The Upper Bay study used "live" tracking while the Potomac used the P.I.T. tags. The DNR personnal would be at the major Tx weigh-ins and would scan the bass for the tags(Potomac River). The Upper Bay study involved using a boat with a receiver to track actual movement along with "stationary" receivers at points along the river.