Tidal Fish Forum banner

97 150hp Johnson Ocean Pro

Need some Help 
6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BUDC 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, My Brother in Law has a 1997 Johnson 150 Ocean Runner. He hasn't run it this season. He started it yesterday and it started right up. We splashed it and again it started right up. Problem is it only ran for a few minutes then it started blowing white smoke. It was also putting gas and oil mix out of the exhaust. He checked the owners manual and did all the troubleshooting things that they suggested. Still had the same problem. He cleaned the floats and the vacuum pump. Still no go. Can anyone offer some ideas aboutwhat else to check?
Thanks

#5 ·
It's getting too much mixture. Maybe the oil injection pump. Is it missing at all? May not be firing on all cylinders allowing unburned fuel out of the exhaust. I am assuming that this is a two stroke. If it's a four stroke could be valve guides. Although that would happen on start up and go away.

#7 ·
Mine was a faulty fuel pump which also pumped the oil for the VRO system. They are built fail-safe to over oil the mixture when they go bad. Polecat has the proving test. Disconnect the oil and fuel supply hoses from the pump and hook a small tank of properly mixed gas/oil to the fuel intake side of the pump. If the situation clears up, you've got the culprit.
budc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.