Good Information Do not buy a trailer without title
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Do not buy a trailer without title

My dad and I learned a lesson this past week when we bought a trailer for my Carolina Skiff for a very good price. It was this price because it did not have a title. I went to register it without the VIN (id) number because it was faded away on the trailer, thinking DMV would cut me some slack. Well it turns out there is no way that a vehicle can recieve a title without this number. So now I have a trailer that we cannot use except just around the neighborhood.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The original owner, if that is who you purchased the trailer from, can apply for a duplicate title. Or, if that is not going to work, you may be able to register it as a home built trailer and they should assign it a number.

call the trailer homemade and you can get a new vin number after they come out to inspect it, it is very easy to do.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Cashin do like everyone said and title it as homemade i do it for alot of trailers i build it should work just fine...Brandon

Sir,You can go to the DMV and get a application for a homemade trailer.They will give you a metal tag to put on the trailer.You have to have the police come by and inspect the trailer.Tell him the story if he wants to hear it.He will probably pass it and you will get a title for a homemade trailer.I have done two this way and it is no problem.This way you can legally use it and everybody else can get their money in fees. Good Luck

Thanks for the tips. Im definently going to try that. Ill let you know what happens.

you do not need a title to register a trailer in the state of maine. don't know what state you are in but it's alot cheaper per year than maryland, plus no tax or inspection. let me know and I will give you a number for a tag broker.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mikemd View Post
    you do not need a title to register a trailer in the state of maine. don't know what state you are in but it's alot cheaper per year than maryland, plus no tax or inspection. let me know and I will give you a number for a tag broker.
    I would like that info if you don't mind.Ihave a trailer that the registration got all screwed up when it got registered .Some how it came back with my name and the other owners address,we live in different states and it's a real hassle getting this fixed.

AND, make shure you get permanent tags instead of annual renu, had mine for a few years and paid yearly like a dummy till i found out about permanent tags. They dont offer up that info automatic, they like to get ya every year.

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish gchambers's Avatar
    2010 16 KEY LARGO CC W/YAMAHA f50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast