Fiddler crabs
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiddler crabs

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Fiddler crabs

after watching Dr Julie Ball teach us how to properly fish for tog i was wondering how do people catch those fiddler crabs. i have been in poquoson my whole life and ive never tried to catch one, i do know that when you approach them they all scatter and get into their holes, so i was just wondering how its done, any info would really be appreciated. THANKS

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

cast net!

Never seen them caught with a cast net. Diggy - you can google it. There are several different ways but they require digging. Lifes to short to catch fiddlers. Throw money at the problem and support your local tackle store.

have your cast net loaded and ready to throw, throw as you walk up on them. then again you have to know where to find them, kinda like trout fishing. lol

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default catching fiddlers

dig a hole in the mud big enough for a bucket and put some bait in bottom they will follow smell of bait and fall into bucket hopefully ive never personally done this but heard it works. if you have sucess let me know please.good luck
    steveo

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

It is easy to catch them before they can get into their holes in the mud. You need it to be a very warm day and low tide. Walk along the mud flat next to the shoreline where there are reeds, be sure to wear knee high boots. Carry a small bucket into which you would place the captured fiddlers. You just have to reach down and grab them before they get to their holes. It is an easy task! All this talk about digging a hole and placing boards in a "V" shape is unnessary. These small crabs live in among the reeds, so a cast net will not do the trick. I usually catch a couple of hundred each time I go for them. Right now, the weather is just too cold to find them out in the open. You need a very warm. sunny day for them to come out of their holes. Give it another few weeks!

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by diggy23662 View Post
    after watching Dr Julie Ball teach us how to properly fish for tog i was wondering how do people catch those fiddler crabs. i have been in poquoson my whole life and ive never tried to catch one, i do know that when you approach them they all scatter and get into their holes, so i was just wondering how its done, any info would really be appreciated. THANKS
    Ask Arnie Ferguson. If he can't catch them, they can't be caught!
    budc

"These small crabs live in among the reeds, so a cast net will not do the trick." i've caught fiddlers for many many years in a castnet. you get them on low tide on the flats, catch 50 at a time in a net.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by diggy23662 View Post
    you can get a rod of any kind weilding wire peace of small coper tubing and you stick it in the ground next to the whole the crab went in wiggle it around to disturb the dirt by the whole and the crab will come out i have tried it and it workes

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber racn35's Avatar

i have cast netted millions too

a cardboard box with a walk up ramp and raw hamburger works great too

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast