What fish starts biting in the Rappahannock River?
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default What fish starts biting in the Rappahannock River?

Ok I need to get educated here. What fish starts biting in the Rappahannock river at this time of year? I had someone ask me over the weekend if the catfish were in here. So I need someone's expertise. Thanks Brigitte

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish! SlateDog's Avatar

Always seem to catch croaker by the last week of March around Urbanna and probably cats are in the creeks now.

SlateDog
    Grady White 223

Thanks for getting back to me. Now do the creeks have a name to them? So I can tell customers. So what would be next for the types of fish after croaker are done biting? and for what month? Like you answered my first question. I hope you can understand me! Brigitte

Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish! SlateDog's Avatar

Well, there are a lot of creeks on the Rapp but last year Croaker were taken by March 15 in Lagrange Ck for sure. In most years they are almost always around by April. Other nearby creeks are Robinson and Urbanna and across the river is the Corrotoman Ck and Carters Ck. There are of course lots more so check your chart. April will bring more croaker and cats (you can take rockfish beginning April 18th on the Potomac). May 1 brings opening of spring Rockfish season on the Rapp with some early trout and spot also being caught. June brings more of the same with the Rockfish season closing on the Rapp till fall. July brings flounder and bluefish with Spanish Mackeral available at the mouth of the river and across the lower bay. Aug is more of the same. Sept always yields big spot, croaker and trout along with everything else. Finally Oct and throughout the fall its all about the fall rock fish with plenty of nice trout and bluefish mixed in. Of course you will always find a mixed bag along way catching all of the above plus anything from juvenile black drum and small sea bass to eels, oyster toads, catfish, and skates. Thats the basic picture as I see it. Check 2009 regulations for exact season dates, minumums and creel limits for various species.

SlateDog
    Grady White 223

Smile

Why thank you for the info. You must be a local. Do you have a business dealing with fish? Because you seem to know it all. Thanks alot again and have a nice day. Brigitte

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Shad

Does anybody know the water temp in Fburg or if the Shad are up there yet?

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ZMI View Post
    Does anybody know the water temp in Fburg or if the Shad are up there yet?
    no shad yet

Quote Originally Posted by ontherivah View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me. Now do the creeks have a name to them? So I can tell customers. So what would be next for the types of fish after croaker are done biting? and for what month? Like you answered my first question. I hope you can understand me! Brigitte

what is your business?

Hello it is B.E.S.T. Boatyard in Saluda. We are behind Christ Church school right on the Rappahannock River. You can go to my contact info and check out my homepage and we have a website. Hopefully pretty soon I can advertise on here so I can let everyone know our website address. Right now I can't until I change my subscription. Are you from around here?

ok,ok, yea I talked to the man that works there about a slip/dry storage. I haven't made it there yet but will. It sounded real nice on the phone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast