Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic

DrDon is offline Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic

I am going Punta Cana in a few weeks for a family trip. Is there any light tackle/flats/or inshore fishing worth doing there. So far my info searches talk about only offfshore fishing. Thanks for any input.

Careful wondering around down there on the shore. I suggest a guide/boat.

We went there about 6 years ago.I wanted to go night diving but the dive master said it was too dangerous.I did not understand why- water is very clear,warm and calm inside the reef.

The next day - he pointed out holes blown into the bottom by the night fishermen- they use dynamite . Locals have fished the in shore waters very heavily - not much left.
    What could be more mundane than dying of old age or of natural causes when there is death by misadventure to be pursued ? Skip

tolmaz is offline Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

I went there about 5 years ago.....Actually did go diving there..( resort certified) The fishermen had these small row boats, plastic soda bottles with line wrapped around it with a hook and sinker...They were fishing where we were diving...It was kinda cool cause you could see the hooks with bait while you were down there....Our guide was wrapping the guys line around stuff on the bottm I guess its diver vs fisherman...

Also went golfing there....wondered why I was the only person on the golf course ( I think really a pasture) and the cart had 2 cans of OFF...Man...I made iit to the first hole and drove the ball.....getting down the fairway...My ball was lucky enough to land on one of the 3 inch patches of grass around the dirt fairway ( Bavaro Resort) Then they hit me...Those suckers came in like enemy aircraft...I looked down and my legs were black , covered with those flies... I said enough of that..turned on the turbos and back to the hotel...I will always remember DR Punta Cana

www.cnksaltwatertackle.com

7", 9" and 12" STRIPER TREATS..A new world of plastics for jigging! NEW WIDE GAP JIGHEADS ARE HERE Bulk Jighead Orders are Available

I was in Punta Cana three years ago for my honey moon. I took a couple half day offshore charters through the resort. They were pretty cheap at $80 per half day per angler. They drop lines in about 300 yards from shore. I didnít find any inshore charters, but I didnít look very hard. I only caught one fish, but it was a nice one.

Schedule Sea 23' SeaCraft twin Etec 150s

DC Metro chapter of the MSSA
    Check out the website: DCMSSA.org

RYASON is offline Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Heading there myself soon, Dr Don. Sounds like I'll be there and back before your trip. From what I have researched, the fishing seems good if you are with the right charter. As of now, I cant seem to come up with the "right charter" or feel comfortable with any of them. It seems most of the decent trips have been with American Captains and several have suggested Not to use a hotel recomended boat. I will try to come up with some ideas and suggestions if I come across anything. The hard part is trusting anyone on the phone from another country and especially from one that I have never been to. Good luck and have a good trip.

Ryason,

Don't drink too much and pass out on the beach. I heard bad things happen.....

Not to mention the Scooby Doo related issues....

Good Luck Be Careful and Have Fun (and be nice to Amelia next time - she is still talking trash about you)

RYASON is offline Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I'll make sure to protect my feet. Dont know what I am going to do about the voodoo.

Rick is online now Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber Lite - I support Tidal Fish!

I was at Punta Cana two years ago and took my light tackle stuff. We did a snorkle trip out near the reef and saw alot of fish. I never got out but wanted too. Anyway I never got up early enough to take a kayak out and was a little uncomfortable with the jet skis zipping by and people walking on the beach. I suggest to go out on a kayak and paddle out near the reef, just go early or late pm if they will give you a kayak. Rick
    WWW.PAXRIVERPRODUCTS.COM Home of FISHOFF GLOVE

pfoley is offline TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Just got back. There are no light tackle opportunities down there. I brought my own light tackle gear and played in the surf a little with nothing to show. One guy was doing all right with a bottom rig and some fish scaps from the restaurant though. I tried to walk down the beach away from the resort, but some guy with a machine gun changed my mind. I chartered a hotel boat at the Club Med for half a day. We got into some Bull Mahi right away, and came back with enough to feed 50 people. It was rough as hell but worth it. They cooked the fish for us in the restaurant that night! I think it was $150 per head, and there were only three of us on board.

Good luck!