Homemade Rod Holders?

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Default Homemade Rod Holders?

Hey,
    Going to try and run a single planer board but only have 2 rod holders per side and one for the WWB. Does anyone have a picture of what they use to expand there rod holding capability without a hardtop? Not looking for $150 store bought devices but homemade solutions. I was thinking about making a double or triple to go in a gunnel holder but 1" PVC is the largest that will fit. I know I can bush it up to 1 1/2" for the rods but was wondering it this was strong enough. Any ideas will be appreciated. Boat is a 21' DC so I can't just line the sides with tubes.

you should be able to use 1-1/4" pvc in the roob holders then use some closet rod to reinforce it
    I have done lots of them from PVC and they work just fine
    the top one I used as a poor mans downrigger and planner board rod holder holds 5 rods

I also used 1-1/4" schedule 80 for the gunnel its the gray colored pipe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rod Holders 002.jpg 
Views:	857 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	17312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of Rod Holders 004.jpg 
Views:	763 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	17313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of Rod Holders 003.jpg 
Views:	842 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	17314  

Here is what I used. It's made out of 2" alum pipe and a 1X10. With all hardware it cost something like 90 bucks to make and holds 7 on each side. If I went with PVC pipe it would have been even cheaper, but, I decided to go with the alum in case I hit something when docking.

It is mounted to my rails via U-bolts. It is easy to take off when I am not trolling boards.

Great topic & replies!

this is what your looking for....Trust me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 078.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	17315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 037.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	17316  

Wow. Great pictures and ideas. I really appreciate it. Gonna try a shakedown run this weekend.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ida Mae View Post
    this is what your looking for....Trust me
    I thought there's been some good info shared.

Let the man have his topic... you've thrown those ridiculous looking things in our faces ENOUGH, bud.

Theres all kinda crazy rig you can come up with, when your desperate to get more line in the water.......This is a rig we fitted to my buddies 16' crabbing boat last spring when my boat was getting repowered on opening day One in the morning of, nun the less

hey jonah.....he asked for homemade ideas .....i gave him one.....blow me

What ever you use - be sure to secure the rod/reel with a short safety line. A big fish on trolling gear can really put some leverage on a homemade holder.

I found out the hard way - by blind luck the rod did not go overboard.

Be careful with the white PVC - sunlight will weaken it after time. If you know an electrican - you might be able to get short pieces of 1 1/2 or 2 inch conduit. It will rust slightly where cut but if it's free - you got a good deal. Drill a hole through the bottom for a bolt and you have a pin to lock the gimbal in.
    What could be more mundane than dying of old age or of natural causes when there is death by misadventure to be pursued ? Skip

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast