Best baits for White Perch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best baits for White Perch

I seldom catch white perch on Fish-Bites. What are the best baits for white perch around Solomons Island and PLO? and any Tips?

Joe

I have caught them on "Road-Runners" and those "Strike King" mini spinner baits. Never tried anything else for them.

if you don't have a strong current you can fish a Blade bait for them, like Silver buddy or 1/2 oz Circada's my favorite ring perch lure...

WHite perch will drill them if you find them,,, also if you have access to minnows put them on a 1/8 double jig rig chartruese and bounce that...

Cut herring as well..

Although I haven't had much luck with them yet this year, a 2-3" curly tail grub, or twin tailed grub in white or chartreuse on an 1/8oz head can be killer, especially when things warm up. A beetle spin type spinner arm can be a good addition. I tear up perch up to 12" near the riprap by Solomons in September and October. I'm told bloodworms are a good bet this time of year.
    Anadromous fish come and go, but catfish stay forever.

Yellow Hobie Revolution
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Default bloodworms

as i sit here eating 2 11 inch+ WP i caught last night off the PLO pier, i can tell you from experience that bloodworms are working right now! Although i havent had any bonanza nights down on the pier, i have been catching at least one or 2 very nice perch each night this week...

VTFish,
    How crowded was the pier? Do you catch WP at the end of the pier or middle? were they right below the pier?
    Joe

Joe,

I have been catching them down at the end of the pier, as far out as I can cast (i use relatively small setups, 7ft rods or less with up to 4 ounces of weight), so im not getting out there *all* that far. The pier has not been crowded YET (fingers crossed)...once the croaker start biting it will become a madhouse down there. In 7 trips to the pier in the last 2 weeks, i have caught 5 rockfish in addition to the perch, up to 27 inches, all on bloodworms.

I have found that the best time, at least this week anyways, has been between 6:15 and 7 PM, although i have not been able to stay later than 8:45 any night, so its possible they may be biting later as well.

i should be down there tonight, probably around 7 - 7:30, and hopefully pretty much every other night this week. i'll have a green hat on, be sure to say hi if you make it down.

Matt

they got to be stacked up in St. Jeromes.

Fishbites work well in warm water of course just about anything works better in warm water. Caught WP in Nov on plain old worms, and bloodworms

It looks WP have good appetite for almost anything. Now the question is how to find them. What do you look for, sandy bottom, rock piles, piers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast