Trotline Anchor - chain - Buoy setup?
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Trotline Anchor - chain - Buoy setup?

I know this gets a lot of general discussion but I don't recall this specific topic discussed so let's see. I meant to ask this last fall... anyway late last season I noticed something new about the way the commercial guys had their buoys setup on their trot lines, it looked like they ran the typical setup with a long line from the anchor to the first big float but then I saw a bunch of them who ran a second smaller float, possibly near or attached to the chain somehow. It looked like they drove past the big buoy they grabbed that smaller float and used it to somehow to loop the line over the stick. Anyone here run it that way and why? Any details? Is this only for deep water trot lining?

Can't tell you how many times I've botched putting the line over the stick one way or another so if there's an easier way I'd be all ears.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

If their line is rigged the way you state with the smaller float attached to the chain.... I would think this is done so they have less trouble placing the baited portion of the main line on the roller on their AUTO DIPPER. It takes a considerable amount of line to properly get things started without hang-ups. By being able to lift the line 50' or more from the main float allows plenty of room for
    maneuvering the basket (auto dipper) in place.

Before auto dippers and even today, many crabbers add an additional small float to the anchor. Its purpose is to enable the line to be tightened or loosened without having to lift the anchor. Just grab the small float and pull it (anchor) in the desired direction to make the adjustment.

Hope this answers your question.

When running a long line, the extra bouy at each end is also used to show the direction that the line is running so others will know.

Thanks guys, I might give it a try, if it saves me from wraping the line in the prop just and missing the bouy a couple times it'll probably be worth it.