Speed of Hobie Mirage Kayak.
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Speed of Hobie Mirage Kayak.

to: Anyone who owns a Hobie Mirage Kayak,

Sometimes I felt I needed a very fast kayak. I need high speed for 5-10 minutes. How fast can you go on a Hobie Mirage Kayak at 14’-16’?

On a Hobie web site, there is a tug-of-war video between two Olympians on a kayak and one guy on a Hobie Mirage kayak. They have the equal strength.

Hobie Kayaks - MirageDrive

Can you maintain 5mph for 10 minutes? Can you guys maintain 6-7 mph for 3 minutes if you paddle with both arms and legs?

Just curious.

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You could probably achieve the speeds you list, for those durations. Speed seems to be a relative term.... One of the strengths of the Hobie mirage is that pedaling is done with the large muscles in the legs instead of the arms & upper body (when paddling). This provides most people with less fatigue and arms free for other activities. You may consider taking advantage of a dealer demo day and trying a few Hobie models out for yourself.

Tighten them up!
    Cfishon

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I can maintain 6-8 mph for 15-20 minutes in the Hobie Adventure.... the Hobie Outback is not so fast, that said a guy I fish with took my outback and stayed with me in my Adventure all morning... so I guess alot has to do with the person

Plays by sense of smell. ictalurus's Avatar

Joe,

When I'm in shape, I generally cruise in my stubby, bloated 12ft Outback around 3.5+mph depending on the current and wind, but this isn't my top speed. This is based on how long it takes me to travel between landmarks, so it's not an exact speed measurement. I can definitely go faster for 10+ minutes, but I don't have a GPS to tell you how much faster.

You should check out Bluhaven in Ridge, MD (near PLO). They rent Hobies for reasonable rates, and you can fish in the creek that the marina is on (part of St. Mary's River). There's a 13ft model (Revolution) and a 16ft model (Adventure). The downsides of Hobies are that they tend to be kind of heavy for their length, in my opinion, and the prices have gone up since I bought mine. Anyway, checkout:

www.bluhavenpiers.com

The website is down, but here is their number: 1.301.872.5838
    Anadromous fish come and go, but catfish stay forever.

Yellow Hobie Revolution
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Quote Originally Posted by ictalurus View Post
    Joe,

When I'm in shape, I generally cruise in my stubby, bloated 12ft Outback around 3.5+mph depending on the current and wind, but this isn't my top speed. This is based on how long it takes me to travel between landmarks, so it's not an exact speed measurement. I can definitely go faster for 10+ minutes, but I don't have a GPS to tell you how much faster.

You should check out Bluhaven in Ridge, MD (near PLO). They rent Hobies for reasonable rates, and you can fish in the creek that the marina is on (part of St. Mary's River). There's a 13ft model (Revolution) and a 16ft model (Adventure). The downsides of Hobies are that they tend to be kind of heavy for their length, in my opinion, and the prices have gone up since I bought mine. Anyway, checkout:

www.bluhavenpiers.com

The website is down, but here is their number: 1.301.872.5838
    I am going to try the place when I have time.
    Thanks,
    Joe

Forgot to mention, pedaling and paddling at the same time doesn't work too well--at least I'm not coordinated enough to make it work. There are also different fin types for the drive--standard, ST, and ST Turbo. I have the ST fins, which seem faster than the standard fins. The ST and ST Turbo fins are adjustable. You can make them really stiff, which is tough to pedal, or you can make them flex a little, which is easier to pedal. I'm guessing the less they flex, the more water is propelled and the faster you go, but I'm not certain. The ST fins are around $40-50 for a pair, but I think they're worth it.

Yellow Hobie Revolution
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Haha, The funny thing about all of this is that I saw the Hank Parker episode where they are using the pro angler and the speeds. I did hear once again that they were doing 18mph with a 6mph current to help them so mabe doing around 12. They were just doing a short race so I do not expect them to hold that speed for more that a min or two.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

If you get the turbo fins you can adjust them for top end speed (which will be inefficient at slower speeds) or for efficiency at slower speeds (but won't be able to get as much top end out of them).

If you are decently in shape, I will pretty much bet that a hobie will outpace any sit on top paddled kayak of equal length (assuming recreational users in both craft). I have no problem maintaining 5 knots (via GPS) with my adventure with turbo fins.

Put another way - my adventure got me home about 6 miles in about 2.5 hours in this wind, whereas a fishing buddy was working so hard to barely make forward progress that he broke his $300 paddle and had to get rescued.

I was just curious when I posted the thread. But now I am going to take a good look at the mirage adventure with the sail kit. If I can sail the adventure at 15-20mph wind with rudder kit and sail kit, this, this will be a great kayak for my needs (if money is no object).

Joe

There are some pretty cool videos of high-speed Adventure sailing. You should check out the Hobie forum at kayakfishingstuff.com and also at hobiecat.com.

I also remembered that there is a Hobie dealer in Annapolis, which is probably closer to you, and there's also one in Woodbridge. You can demo a yak at Annapolis since they're on Spa Creek, but the dealer in Woodbridge isn't on the water. I've dealt with the guys in Woodbridge for warranty repairs, and things went OK with a bit of nagging on my part.

Yellow Hobie Revolution
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast