Need some Help Removing Scratches on GPS Screen

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Removing Scratches on GPS Screen

My girlfriend (bless her heart) decided that the screen of my Garmin chart plotter would be a good place to set a key chain full of keys while she was carrying the unit up from the boat. They scratched up the screen pretty good. It seems that there is a anti-reflective coating over the glass that scratches pretty easily, especailly with a full set of keys sitting on it.

Does anyone know if you can buff out scratches on a screen like that, or if you can have your screen replaced? Its a $700 unit that is about 3 years old so I'm not sure if it would even be cost effective to get the screen replaced.

Thanks, Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

C. Crane Company - Novus Plastic Scratch Remover - Toll Free (800) 522-8863

It won't take out major ones, but it works really well on shallow scratches and discoloration

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

If the scratches are only in the anti-reflective coating on the screen using any product on it will only make it worse. You can possibly remove all the rest of the coating and then deal with glare issues, or talk to Garmin re having them re-coat screen. (RayMarine re-coated my C-80 while doing other work on it.)
    Creekster

Might be a leap of faith here, but, I've removed scratches from cell phones, fish finders, and my GPS with good old TOOTHPASTE!! A little dab on a moist soft towel or rag and work it in small circles......might take a couple applications, but, it works.....AND IT'S MINTY FRESH!!

Send back to Garmin, they have great customer service and will have the unit back in 7 to 10 days. I've dealt with them several times over the years on stuff like that and internal batteries in my GPS units. Unit always comes back looking like the day I pull it out of the box. Good Luck.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks for the replies, I have an email into Garmin Customer Support about getting the unit refurb'd.
    Dave

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Please let us know what they do.

Jeff

I have read that metal polish will take off the rest of the antiglare coating. You can then buy stick on antiglare sheets that can be cut to fit the screen.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I agree - Get the rest of the anti-glare coating off. I did, and the screen looks great. I was going to buy one of those screen protectors from Ebay, but never got around to it. Works just fine, and the color is not affected. Not worth worrying too much about.

-TH