Question What size anchor for a 22ft Center Console

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default What size anchor for a 22ft Center Console

What size anchor do I need for a 22' Center Console, primarily used in the bay?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

# 8 danforth

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Go Big.......or Go Home I bought 3 different anchors for my boat about three years ago before I found one that would "Hold", the way I wanted it to. According to this Hooker chart, you should use a #8 but with a 23' boat, I went with the #13. Remember also that chain helps the anchor dig in........ If you go with a lighter anchor, go with more chain. I keep my anchor rigged with 4' of chain, but have a 6' piece in the boat that I can attach in quick order........ I've heard of some, going with 20' of chain. Heres a link to the anchor chart:

Super Hooker Marine Anchors

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish crabby and son's Avatar

I fish a lot with mlag and he has a 22' Angler. His anchor is 22 pounds. Might be a little big but better than a little small. Much of it depends where you are going to anchor.......what type of bottom,depth and most of all current and wind. You can't fish very well worrying if your anchor will slip and put you into structure........Go big............Gary

Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com swartj's Avatar

I have a 14# Delta Fastset with 15' of chain. It does well on my 23' Whaler.
    Jerry

'06 Boston Whaler 235 Conquest
    Rhode River

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by troutman1 View Post
    What size anchor do I need for a 22' Center Console, primarily used in the bay?
    Just keep borrowing them from Skip until you find the right one.
    I have a 22' walk-around. Not sure of the anchor size (sorry--it was with the boat when I got it). Used to have some trouble with anchoring. I doubled the chain to 12' and haven't had any problems since.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I use a #13 Hooker on my 22 ft boat. Sometimes it takes several trys to get the anchor to hold using 8 ft of chain. It really depends on wind, current, bottom type, and depth.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

An 8 pound is OK as a lunch hook but not enough for all conditions and deeper water. I have an 8 pound Danforth in my anchor locker because that is all it will hold in the built in holder. When I want to get serious about anchoring in the ocean or bay, I take a 13 pound Danforth with ten foot of heavy chain. It has never disappointed.

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish tksmitty's Avatar

Like Wild Bill my anchor locker will only fit a #8 Danforth and I can tell you that even with 15' of heavy chain when the wind is strong and the wind is blowing I can not hold bottom. This past Saturday in the Choptank i tried 6 times (which amounted to 6 long drifts) with the anchor and 200' of rode out and it would not hold. Go big.
    Parker 2320 SL

I have a 8# Danforth with 12' of chain on a 21' boat and it has worked fine so far. I still look at it and think it's undersized and would go with the 13# if I had to buy another one just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast