HELP-Yamaha F225 losing prime

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default HELP-Yamaha F225 losing prime

My Yamaha F225 is giving me trouble. It quits running at idle speeds. If I pump the ball up it will start right up and run fine once it's on plane, but if it sits for a while with the engine off or even running for several minutes at idle the priming ball gets soft and it will quit running when I try to take off (fuel starved). I have replaced the ball twice now after the first new ball didn't cure the problem.

Also, when I squeeze the ball, it doesn't pop back out to pump again. It's like a vacuum issue I guess. Any suggestions on what to try next.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber fishboy823's Avatar

Sounds like a venting problem. Unscrew the gas cap and see if that changes anything. Is the ball collaspsing when the engine dies? If not its probably an air leak in the line.
    Fishboy

Check your fuel line. E10 will cause it to disentegrate and collapse. That could be your problem. Also check to see if your tank vent is clear and not clogged.

Actually after the motor is running, the ball is useless (not needed). What you can try is try pumping the ball when it starts running out of fuel, your low pressure pump could be bad. These motors run off of vacuum, once it's running vacuum feeds the low pressure pump, low pressure pump feeds the VST and high pressure pump. If your low pressure pump quits squeezing the ball feeds thw VST and high pressure pump.

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish goinsfishin's Avatar

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago and found that the Racor water separator/filter wasn't seated tight enough. Apparently I hadn't twisted it on tight enough when changing the filter. It wasn't leaking fuel but it was sucking air which caused problems similar to yours.
    Check your fuel filter.
    Capt. Steve Goins and JoeDaDog
    Stormy Petrel Charters
    www.stormypetrelcharters.com
    443-223-2218

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I had a similar issue with the bulb not quickly opening back up after a squeze--the 10 micron fuel filter was clogged up with gunk and varnish soon after the switch to e-10. It still ran but was probably close to not running due to lack of fuel. Also my boat has a fuel pump in the tank to help push fuel to the motor, that probably helped keep it running even though the filter was clogged.

Change all the filters and see what happens.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I have a similar problem with a Honda 130 four stroke that sat all winter. I replaced the low pressure fuel pump because mechanic said he did a fuel pressure test and somehow figured that was bad. Well... that didn't make any difference. I changed all filters, including VST. I eventually added some start on directly to the racer and that seemed to fix the problem.

This was back in march. I used it all April and part of may. It sat until this weekend. I'm back to the same problem. After running around all day while someone primed the bulb, at the end of the day it wouldn't get on plane at all. Violent hesitation. Plus when I prime the bulb, it gets hard sometimes but other times takes longer and when it does take longer, fuel is leaking out of my engine because of a float pin inside the Vapor Separator.

Time to change or at least clean the VS. Except can't get screws out to open it up.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Fishamajig's Avatar

Quote: "This was back in march. I used it all April and part of may. It sat until this weekend. I'm back to the same problem. After running around all day while someone primed the bulb, at the end of the day it wouldn't get on plane at all. Violent hesitation. Plus when I prime the bulb, it gets hard sometimes but other times takes longer and when it does take longer, fuel is leaking out of my engine because of a float pin inside the Vapor Separator.

Time to change or at least clean the VS. Except can't get screws out to open it up. "

Aren't boats just great???