Need some Help Gps 178c screen fade

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Gps 178c screen fade

Hello
    I have a Garmin 178C that is mounted on a center console without a T-top, during the summer months the screen would fade out in direct sunlight as though the unit was overheating, I would then turn the unit off and put something over it for 15 minutes and then turn it back on and it was fine until it overheated again. Now during the colder months I do not have this problem. I have two questions: 1. Is this worth sending back to Garmin for $170 and 2. Has someone figured something out that would keep this from happening ex like building a cover.

Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have had the same thing happen to mine, usually when I am not paying attention to it I put a rag or something to cover the screen, I have another unit I use for a depth finder.

Default Thanks for the input.

I had a Garmin 168 GPS/Map on my previous boat but it was not color, never had screen fade, I guess these color units run as good bit hotter.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Not sure if I understand your question completely.... I have the same unit as you do, cannot remember the button you hit I.E. menu, on/off, but you hit the button twice to get this window to pop up. I beleive the screen will have a pop up screen that says to adjust contrast and ? (cannot remember the other switch?) But it has 2- control switches, start adjusting untill you see the screen you like, go in small increments. Also I have found you can change the background color from White, Black, or a blue background, I fine blue is best in most light conditions. I'm sure you have seen the screen before with the 2-switches it will only stay on say maybe 30 seconds and then it flips back to GPS/Sonar. I hope this helps you, if not let me know and I wil take a look at mine tonight and let you know which button to hit to adjust contrast....

ALYTAY
    Russell

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have the same unit and it did the same thing. Not a contrast issue, it would just fade out of site.. After turning it off for a while it started to work fine.. Just always seems to happen, when it is full sun and HOT..

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Guess I didn't word it correctly in my other post. I have had the same issue with fading of the screen, whether it's from the sun or just fades out not quite sure if that's overheated? It has happened to me in the winter (last Dec.) When it goes blank put your nose close to the screen (and hopefully you can still see a lighter image of what was there before the fading started) and adjust those 2-switches. Mine has always come back after adjusting the switches. So far it has worked for me.

Also I should say that my Garmin 178C doesn't fade out all the time when I go out for the day. My GPS, if I would have to guess has probably faded maybe 4-times. I can leave my GPS on all day/night long and it will pick it's own time to fade out. In almost 5-years of ownership mine started the fading issue in the last 2-years. If you call Garmin let us know what you find out.

ALYTAY
    Russell
    Last edited by ALYTAY; 11-02-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Hello
    The on/off button if you hit it again after the unit is on, gets a screen where you can adjust the backlight and the contrast, yes I have adjusted that during these fading times, it helps a little but not much, the unit is still malfunctioning, my plan is to send it back to Garmin after the boating season, they said they need about 2 weeks to fix so I have been holding off. I bought the boat from a guy in Coco beach Flordia so it would have seen some hot sun down there even though it only had 32 hours on it.
    Curious if anyone sent one back to Garmin with this problem and the results.
    Thanks All