Lost Boat Key

Thread: Lost Boat Key

Default Lost Boat Key

I lost my boat key and I cann't find my spare either. Do boat manufactures (Crown Line) keep records in order to get a replacement or am I looking at having to replace the entire keyed switch?

Go to a marine parts store and a new ignition switch, or take the slugs out of the old one and use a screw driver to start it, or just hot wire it. There is nothing special about the switch at all-nothing like a newer car.

You have two options. Take the ignition switch out. On the switch should be a number. Take the number to a Merc dealer and they should be able to give you new keys. The other option, as mentioned before, is to replace the switch with an inexpensive Sierra replacement from some place like West Marine.

usually you match your keys based on the engine (controls) and not the hull. There aren't but so many patterns within a manufacturer. You might get lucky witha friend's key matching. Also look inyour engine's owner's manual if you have it.

you can also take the switch out, take it to a locksmith and they will make you a new set for about $10

If the boat has some age on her now would be a good time to replace the ignition switch.

Foy is offline Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Common keys

Quote Originally Posted by home cookin' View Post
    You might get lucky witha friend's key matching.
    Some time back, I lamented having lost the key to my pickup camper shell. The guy I was griping to reached into his pocket, pulled out his key, walked over to my truck, and opened it up.

In the last couple of decades this may have changed, but in the 1970s-1980s there were but a very few key patterns for things like camper shells, construction equipment, homeowner garden equipment, etc. The key to my grandfather's 1963 IH Cub Cadet garden tractor would open the door, liftgate window, and would start my 1967 IH Scout 800!

Point is, this is probably an easy fix. Friend's keys, replace the switch, or pull it and take it to the lock shop.

Foy

I have a buddy who is a part time lock smith and he said that he normally charges $100 to make a key for a lock. Looks like replacing the switch will be the quickest option. Thanks for the input guys.