trailer lights -- one is brighter than the other
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default trailer lights -- one is brighter than the other

I have two trailers. On both the driver's side tail lights shine a lot brighter than the passenger side lights. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I just replaced the T-connector on the Ford Ranger I use to trailer and also cleaned up both grounds (trailer and truck). Appreciate any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Check the voltage of each side with a voltmeter - if they're different, then you've got a small problem somewhere. If they're the same, you probably need to see an eye doctor (just kidding).
    If the dim side is showing lower voltage you probably have corrosion somewhere. Since it's on 2 different trailers, if the voltage is different, it would appear to be in the vehicle wiring prior to the connector you replaced. Can't tell you anymore than that.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Jim Bright, what a name for this post. But I am sure you heard it all before.

I think you hit it with the power/ground option. I would bet if you switched the wires on the trailer side the passenger side would be the Strongest. Did you clean the wires on your vehicle before reconnecting them?

JoeB

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Tried everything you all suggested and still one side is brighter. These lights are brand new this season, so is T connector.

I bit the bullet and just ordered a new T connector. Once I change it I'll post my results. It seems like every season I have to replace the T connector and/or the trailer lights to get things right. My buddy also has a Ford truck and has similar issues.

This is driving me bananas....maybe I should just buy a new boat and a new truck.

That is the right approach, Jim. But skip the banannas, ya don't want to mess up an otherwise good trip.

If switching the wires on the trailer side did not make any difference, then it could be your bulb or light socket, but it does not make any sense that it would be the same problem on both trailers.

JoeB

I've got a Mazda b4000 that is pretty much the same as a ford ranger. Had similiar problems, ended up finding the problem further up the line on the truck, do yourself a favor and get the wire harness from a junk yard, dealer wanted $600 for the complete wire harness .

That makes more sense Crow. When he switched the trailer wiring it should have showed up that it was on the vehicle side.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

One more thing to check prior to rewiring a vehicle. Check to see that the light bulbs are in the sockets correctly.....if the break light filiment is in the tail light spot, it burns brighter......and they are possible to switch around even with the pins at different levels on the bulbs......i have seen it happen........

Just take one of the brights on one trailer and a dem from the other an switch them. Then one trailer will have both bright lights and other will have both dem lights. Then atleast they will match.

yea bryanfish, I wish I had thought of that.. [grin][grin][grin][excited][excited]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast