Tidal Fish Forum banner

Heading for VA water to HRBT - Dec 19

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  martineta 
#1 ·
I am planning to hit HRBT this Saturday (about 3 hour drive) depending on the weather. I will launch from the Boat ramp at FT. Monroe. I am bringing light tackles expecting some small stripers in the shallow water 3-15' of water.

Any tips are appreciated.

I could try Kipto but that adds additional 40 minutes of driving and that place will be packed for sure.

Thanks,
Joe

#2 ·
For stripers I always fish there at night and fish the light line with a running tide. I always use a 3/8 oz chartreus jig head with a chartreus Berkley Gulp jerk shad and always catch plenty of schoolies 18"-21". Usually outgoing tide seems to be the best, but incoming will work if need be. If fishing the daytime, I would just work the pilings. Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks Brad!

I will bring the Gulp.
I just found out this from WKFA.org. A guide posted that December is good time for Specks and Reds. I am assuming his Flats is the flats at the north and south portion of the HRBT. Do you know anything about fishing Specks and Reds in the area?

Thanks,
Joe

#6 ·
Which side of the HRBT do you plan to fish? Assume since this is the kayak board you are yak fishing. If you want to fish the Norfolk side then launch over there (first exit after exiting the tunnel) or if fishing the Hampton side i agree with launching at FT Monroe. Would stongly advise against crossing the main channel in a kayak. If you are fishing Hampton side head straight across to the span that connects Hampton to the island and hit the light line on the up current side and cast so that lure goes right in front of the piling or swings into the light line. Same technique if you fish the Norfolk side, just paddle around the point and stay close to the land to avoid all the other boats.

Good luck

#7 ·
FishSalmon,

I picked Ft. Monroe because the bridge span is right in front of the boat ramp and the channel is closer than Willoughby boat ramp. I intended to fish in the channel if the bites are rare in the shallow area. But now I am staying in the shallow water, 3’-9’ of water. I think this was the place where kayakers hang out at night. Many times I saw kayakers in the area at night even in winter when I came back from Hot Ditch.

I will check the direction of the current before I cast. I am planning to use 5” BA mainly on 1/8 oz – 3/8 oz jig heads. Do you suggest any particular lures, or smaller (4”)/bigger (7”)?

#8 ·
at night I like very dark. I am particular to dark gray, almost black over smoky gray, but dark is the key. I like trout killers or a similar paddle tail in either four or five inch length. Vary the jig head weight to target their depth 3/8, 1/4oz. If they are right on top have a hook, no weight, that you can use - this is often the best bet. 4in storms work well too but I find the stripers swallow them and are more often gut hooked. I never use them anymore when fishing C&R.

#10 ·
Joe,
Be sure to check those wind forecasts! It's no fun driving 4 hours to get blown off the water. Last I looked Friday looks to be significantly less windy than Saturday.

I prefer dark baits under 4 inches (curly tail grubs, small Storms). If the fish are on top of the light line I use a light jighead (1/16-1/8 oz) or even an unweighted bait. But sometimes the fish are deep so having some 3/8 or 1/2 oz jigs on hand is always a good insurance policy.

Also, crimp down the barbs so you don't waste time trying to unhook fish. You'd be surprised how quickly you drift into potential trouble when you're trying to de-hook humanely.

If you haven't fished the HRBT before, you'll likely find more company on the Norfolk side. A good thing if you aren't fishing with a buddy.

Good luck,

Steve, Greenbelt

#11 ·
Steve,
I will have the lures and jig heads you mentioned. My backup place will be Hot Ditch for specks. Hot ditch is such a protected area. Coleman bridge is nest back up. But I heard fishing was slow recently. The last back up place will be Lake Anna on the way back to home. I can go for strpers in the Dike #3 in the cold side of Lake Anna. Therefore I will be bringing variety of lures just in case. I will be bring very light tackles that are good for all three places. I just want to fish on Saturday no matter what.

I never used very dark lures yet. So I am going to get some at the BassPro near Hampton.

Thanks,
Joe

#13 ·
martineta,

I may go to Argentina this weekend but not to Norfolk. The weather on the weekend looks very bad for traveling and kayak-fishing. I think it will be too cold and windy in the Bay.

Argentina sounds awfully good. Very attempting!

Joe

#15 ·
Yesterday, I was planning to take off today (Friday). But I couldn't because Verizon T1 line was down for 1 1/2 days. We could'nt work for 1 1/2 days because of some of remote servers weren't connected to our site. I got to work a lot to catch up today.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.