Question Retired civilian DOD employee access to MWR facilities
    TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Retired civilian DOD employee access to MWR facilities

Does anyone know if RETIRED civilian DOD employees can get access to some of the US government bases to use the MWR facilities, specifically Little Creek for use of the Marine Store and the ramp? There is a program for this and it is dependent on the individual base Commander allowing the use. Any info appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I can't speak to the Navy but Fort Monroe you will have access. Here is the info from their website:

http://www.monroemwr.com/marina.htm

AUTHORIZED PATRONS (In order of priority):
    All active-duty and retired military personnel and their dependents; spouses of military personnel who have not remarried and their family members; honorably discharged military veterans; Medal of Honor recipients and their spouses and other family members; Reserve military and National Guard (on active duty); DoD (active and retired) appropriated and non-appropriated funds civilian employees; former spouses who have not remarried and other dependents entitled to commissary, exchange and theater privileges; DoD contractor employees, technical representatives, employees of military banking facilities, and credit unions working at Ft. Monroe; non-DoD Federal employees in the Hampton Roads area.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

As far as the marine store goes, don't go there looking for anything. I have it from a good source that the store is closed and has been since the nor'easter. In fact, I understand that the building is condemned, and that the fuel dock and pumpout are also inoperative.

I do understand that a retired DoD civilian ID card exists. Not sure where you can get one, but that should grant you access to the base and other appropriate facilities.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Living in Newport News I haven't frequented the south side bases that much but as a retired DOD Civilian myself I haven't run into any problems on any of the bases I've used.

Wally

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks all! I just got word that when you retire, OPM sends you a packet that tells you how to get the retired CAC card and from there base access is per the individual base Commanders policy. I should have guessed that the marine store had flooded as the water at my house was 13 inches higher than ever before, and the previous lower flood had damaged the marine store. Thanks again!