Tidal Fish Forum banner

EZ-Pass and boat trailers

Question 
18K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Aches n Pains 
#1 ·
Need a little help. Can Ez-Pass be used while towing a boat trailer on the bay bridge? Are boat trailers allowed in the Harbor Tunnel and I-95 tunnel? Thanks

#3 ·
Definitely add the tag number of ANY vehicle you drive, drag, push, or tow thru the EZ-Pass detector. If not, you may get a fine if the transponder does not operate properly. A pic of the tag will be taken and you will get a fee and you might also get a fine.

I rented a vehicle & used my transponder in it. The transponder failed twice within a week. I neglected to add the tag # of the rented vehicle to my account.
I was charged $2.00 for the first time. A few days later I got another notice stating another $2.00 was charged to my account for the second trip AND a fine for $15.00 was assessed to my account for not adding the tag # to it.

You've been warned!

#4 ·
DONT DO IT
according to the ezpass advertising ,you can use your ezpass for your trailer
In reality, you don't want to even think about it, the aggravation & time involved in trying to contact & deal with the ezpass "customer service":((center to straighten out your ezpass account after the ezpass equipment malfunctions & incorrectly charges your account is not worth your time or aggravation.
EZPASS CUSTOMER SERVIVE IS HORRIBLE!!!!

#5 ·
I use the pass with my trailer all the time. The first time, I wasn't sure if the pass would work. So I pulled up to the booth with my money in hand; and the sign lit up "PAID" from my pass on the front seat. $hit, now what; so I pulled through and never received anything in the mail. So now I use it without worry. 5th (Marty)

#7 ·
Thanks for the very useful info. The EZ Pass website has no pertinent info on the subject and I dread calling their customer service. I've got a commuter plan and never use up all my trips, so when I do pull my trailer it will make the Ez-pass even more economical.

#8 ·
i've never had any issues
like it was said above...make sure you register ALL tag numbers because the transponders do fail and you won't get a fine if they can match your tag
if you go to any of the walk-in service centers you can be in & out in just a few minutes....very EZ

#9 ·
I use EZ pass with my trailer all the time. You can get in trouble if you don't have the trailer tag listed with your acct. I has 2 boats, one trailer was registered, and one wasn't. The one not registered, I never trailered where tolls were collected. Anyhow i sold that boat and allowed the fellow to use my tag to get it home. About a month later i got a bill with a fine included from the state of Delaware. They included a picture of my non registered tag which they used to locate me I guess. Anyhow the letter had explanations on what you could do to straighten things out. I called the fellow who bought my boat and faxed him the letter. As he had EZ pass, it was a simple matter for him to have them charge his acct. Shortly afterward I received a letter from EZ pass that the matter was settled. Just register your tag, and you will be good to go.

#10 ·
Let me tell you, ez pass doesn't always charge you for the trailer, its great. I made a trip to massachussetts with the boat with and without the ez pass. With the easy pass I was debited 35 twice, and I don't know what my balance was to begin, so lets say $70-105 in tolls. Without it was more like $150. One toll went from $6 to $29!!!

#12 ·
I am new to tidal fish and have some experience with trailers, I am a comm. painter and own 2 enclosed trailers. I have taken them everywhere and always use E-Z pass, I have never registered my trailers with them, and never have had a problem. My brother has a house on Smith Is. and we have trailered untold amounts of (stuff) across the bay bridge. I am also an avid waterfowler and have made several trips to ND (always trailering large numbers of decoys) . E-Z pass is now accepted the entire way (thank you OH for seeing the light), I am sure there are problems with E-Z pass but I have never experienced any. HAPPY TRAILERING!!

-

#14 ·
:thumbup:Go for it, I have my boat trailer, camper trailer, and utility trailer all on the account, no extra charge to do that and I have been in 5 states with one or another of them and never had an issue. Even worked through the high speed readers in NJ and PA.:yes:

#15 ·
Got instructions on how to register the trailer from Ez Pass via email. It was EZ. Now I'm ready to Go. Thanks for everyones useful advice!

Here is what Ez Pass sent me for those that would like to register their trailer!

"Trailers may be used with the E-ZPass accounts, as long as first registered to the account. Failure to do so will result in violations being received to the registered owner of the trailer. After logging into your online account, click "Vehicles & Transponders" then click "Add Vehicle". Input all information requested, choosing 72 for the Vehicle Class. If the make/model of the trailer is unknown, choose the unknown option. Once inputted, click the "Add Vehicle" button. If you are unable to update via the online account, please contact the Customer Service Center via phone at 1-888-321-6824."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.