Rods and reels for the YAK?
    TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Rods and reels for the YAK?

I have been fishing from the yak for about a year now. I have been using mostly my inshore and smaller surf equipment. I am looking to buy a few rod and reel "set ups" that are better suited to the confines of fishing from the yak. I have mostly fished out of Rudee and off of Sandbridge. I like to fish for red drum, trout, flounder, etc. in Rudee and kings, blues, cobia and whatevers biting off of Sandbridge. I would like to get out to CBBT for striper this year as well, but have not had the chance.

I like to troll and my heavier rods and 8-10". Any suggestions that would be good for cobia and heavier stonger species and any suggestions for the fishing I described would be appreciated. Please provide maker and model for rods and reels, if you feel strongly about them. Thanks!

Tom

Tight Lines in 2006

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My biggest reel than I use on my yak is a Shimano Stradic 4000. your a big cork on the yak, so if your not anchored you can catch a big fish and tighten up the drag to the point uyou go for a sleigh ride til it gets tired of pulling you. I followed a 4 foot wide cow nose ray for 35 minutes one day til I saw what it was. Then I tightened up and pulled him on a sandbar in the middle of Lynnhaven Inlet, and pulled my lure from his mouth. One member of our club has caught Cobia and a 61 inch Red and he wasn't fishing with anything mush bigger either.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I agree. My heaviest rod to date is 15 to 20 pound class with a Penn 5500 on it spooled with 17 pound test. I also caught a nice big ray in the James last summer on a light rod with 10 pound test. It just took me for a ride until it got tired.

I do try to use 7 foot rods so that I can manuever the rod arond the front of the boat if the fish decides he wants to go from one side to the other. Shorter rods are a bit harder to work with.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I like the seven foot rods also. We were talking not long ago about having a longer yak and not enough rod to let the fish go around one tip of the yak or the other. Keep it light and you'll enjoy your fishing a lot more. I saw Jose on Spanish Fly this past weekend boat a big wahoo with light tackle.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks for the feedback. I am suprised there were not more opinions!

Juke and Sandtiger- I agree about the light tackle. Especially with the option of braided line for the larger targets. I went with a Penn International 7" and a 6" 6' St. Croix Premier In-Shore. I have a Penn Slammer 260 on both and they feel great! I can not wait to get back on the water. Thanks again!

Tight Lines!

Tom

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I stay a little shorter and stiffer so the fish doesn't have as much leverage on me. I love ugly stick (100%)graphites and the stockiest shorter ugly sticks around.

My reasons on the sticks (i dont use them anywhere else, really), is that they can handle about anything, even though they are ligher and cheaper. the top way to break a rod in a kayak is to when trying to horse it close to your gaff/hand/net when the rod is bent over. I keep another light/madium casting rod for distances.

Also..I try not to bring any expensive graphites in case they get nicked while shuffling around.