Question How wide of o boat beam width can you trailer without getting any special permits?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default How wide of o boat beam width can you trailer without getting any special permits?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, greg

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I called the MD State Police and they said the max width was 8' 6".

I believe it is 8'6" in all states.

Fishduck

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Be carefull, I know in Pa. the wideth is an even 8 ft. Most other states are 8'6".

hippie,

are you sure about that? My boat is 101 inches and I never had to get any special permits? I live in PA

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish goinsfishin's Avatar

Federal Motor Carrier guidelines stipulate 8'6" or 102 inches. Individual states may allow larger but are otherwise precluded from interfering with interstate commerce. So most states use the 102 inches for oversize permits.......some don't actively enforce their statutes.....some do so more aggressively than others (North Carolina comes to mind).
    Capt. Steve Goins and JoeDaDog
    Stormy Petrel Charters
    www.stormypetrelcharters.com
    443-223-2218

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I do think NC is now 10 feet. I had permits from MD to FL for my Grady (9' 6") and I was stopped in NC on 95 going North to be measured, according to my agent, no permits were required for NC. A quick measurement and I was on my way, no issue. I use Mercury Permit Services when I long haul the Grady to NY or FL.
    Capt. Ken Lahr
    Greenstick Fit outs available at Reel Draggin' Tackle

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish goinsfishin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Draggin Tackle View Post
    I do think NC is now 10 feet. I had permits from MD to FL for my Grady (9' 6") and I was stopped in NC on 95 going North to be measured, according to my agent, no permits were required for NC. A quick measurement and I was on my way, no issue. I use Mercury Permit Services when I long haul the Grady to NY or FL.
    I believe NC changed their regs after the big publicity flap a few years ago after they stopped almost every boat coming across state lines.
    Capt. Steve Goins and JoeDaDog
    Stormy Petrel Charters
    www.stormypetrelcharters.com
    443-223-2218

Remember in states like MD there are also weight restrictions requiring CDL licensing if you are a commercial fisherman or towing with a commercially owned vehicle. (Company not personal)

Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish! dadsdayoff2's Avatar

I purchased my Parker2520 (9'6" beam) in CT. I transported it down I-95, G.S. Park Way, C.M./Lewis Ferry, DL.Rt 9, & Rt 13 to the Eastern Shore. Never a problem! However the law is 8'6" the same with as a tractor trailer.

Capt. Ken Zborowski
    Parker 2520 MV Custom Flybridge

FISH HARD
    you can rest when your dead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast