Tidal Fish Forum banner

How wide of o boat beam width can you trailer without getting any special permits?

Question 
16K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  hippie 
#1 ·
Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, greg

#6 ·
Federal Motor Carrier guidelines stipulate 8'6" or 102 inches. Individual states may allow larger but are otherwise precluded from interfering with interstate commerce. So most states use the 102 inches for oversize permits.......some don't actively enforce their statutes.....some do so more aggressively than others (North Carolina comes to mind).

#7 ·
I do think NC is now 10 feet. I had permits from MD to FL for my Grady (9' 6") and I was stopped in NC on 95 going North to be measured, according to my agent, no permits were required for NC. A quick measurement and I was on my way, no issue. I use Mercury Permit Services when I long haul the Grady to NY or FL.

#13 ·
It has nothing to do with a commercial fishing license or a company owned vehicle. It is based strictly on weight. If you have a Class C (MD) and your pickup and boat together weigh more than 26,000lbs you are driving without the right license. This would be pretty hard to do with the average rig. Most pickups will weigh less than 9k even loaded for a fishing trip, how many folks are trailiering boats that weigh more than 17,000 lbs?

Here's a link to the charts that explain the license classes http://www.mva.maryland.gov/DriverServ/Apply/licenseclass.htm

Interesting part is that a non-commercial Class B can pull any non-commercial trailer while a commercial Class B is restricted to trilers that weigh 10k or less.

#10 ·
I purchased my Parker2520 (9'6" beam) in CT. I transported it down I-95, G.S. Park Way, C.M./Lewis Ferry, DL.Rt 9, & Rt 13 to the Eastern Shore. Never a problem! However the law is 8'6" the same with as a tractor trailer.

#12 ·
Getting stopped is only a minor problem (tickets), if you have an accident/Claim and did not have the proper trailering oversized load permits they could deny your claim(cha ching). I have an oversized permit whenever she moves on the road mainly for the peace of mind.

#14 ·
You can't exceed 10,000 lbs GCVW in md if your boat or tow vehicle is commercial in the state of MD without a CDL.

I have no intentions of arguing the fact, don't believe me call your local state police barracks.

If you are joe fisherman with a big truck and boat weighing 10's of thousands of pounds you are fine but if any part of the rig is used in money making it's a whole different set of rules.

Believe me.... I got caught and lost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.